• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Preparedness checklist?

I've got a 1/3 acre pond that needs enlarging, unfortunately that means I need to get started on the paperwork. Approval from the gods above starting with the Corps of Engineers I'm told.
Did all that for land in north GA, stocked full of bass, now the Cranes (or Heron) idk, have been hunting the pond lol. Had it for over 10 years. They started about 3 yrs ago. Along with snapping turtles. Other than that been a good ecosystem. Nothing oversized just catch and release at the moment.

Did all that for land in north GA, stocked full of bass, now the Cranes (or Heron) idk, have been hunting the pond lol. Had it for over 10 years. They started about 3 yrs ago. Along with snapping turtles. Other than that been a good ecosystem. Nothing oversized just catch and release at the moment.
No fish in mine yet, just wood ducks and Geese dropping in. I'd love to stock it with catfish for starters. Between getting a garden going and 80 plus pecan trees we might just have enough to eat!

No fish in mine yet, just wood ducks and Geese dropping in. I'd love to stock it with catfish for starters. Between getting a garden going and 80 plus pecan trees we might just have enough to eat!
I set up raised gardening boxes 4x7 (3 of them). We got some wood ducks lastbyear and this year. Have a pair that stay throughout the year. Eggs keep getting eaten by something unfortunately.

We have largely lost the knowledge, social skills, fitness level, immune systems and attitude necessary for survival in a primitive, hostile environment. People survive largely in primitive cultures by banding together , policing their own ranks, cooperating in food production, water sourcing, defense, offense, shelter building and all other necessary endeavors to continue life.
I think the things that will do most in are the stress, unending hard work, and caloric deprivation that will continue day in and day out with no respite and no end in sight. Many will die due to medical issues. Some people will be saddled with incredible drags from members of their family, either due to physical ailments, an inability to adjust to a new reality or just a lazy entitled mentality. Hard choices will have to be made regarding these people. people will become ill, injured, depressed, despondent, suicidal. migration outflow from the cities to rural areas will occur in the belief that things will be better there. Without meaningful skills, supplies or social attachment to the community they land in these people will have to somehow be dealt with.
99% of people in America lack the basic starting point in terms of equipment and supplies not to mention the skills necessary to utilize them effectively. A gun and ammo will certainly be necessary but unless you want to fill the role of marauder until your luck or victims runs out, won’t sustain you or your family. Most people in America today don’t own axes, saws, shovels, mattocks, hoes, (the garden implement), water filtration equipment, vegetable seeds, fire starting equipment. most clothing today is not made with the warmth and durability necessary, on the plus side we have a lot of it. Side note, most people’s cloths wont fit anymore after two months. Most of the things we have now and use daily would be mostly useless in an environment where there was no electricity, no food supply chain.
For information on the basic how to‘s of living a primitive lifestyle the Foxfire books are probably the best starting point. Remember though, that these skills were being used in a society that was fully at terms with a physically demanding existence where everyone, including children was acclimated to the hardships of life and participated in the necessary work, which was endless. Should the wheels fall off society, the power grid go, grocery stores permanently empty, water not coming out of the faucet, no internet, this won’t be that.

Now all you have to do is learn how to can and keep plenty of materials on hand.

We have largely lost the knowledge, social skills, fitness level, immune systems and attitude necessary for survival in a primitive, hostile environment. People survive largely in primitive cultures by banding together , policing their own ranks, cooperating in food production, water sourcing, defense, offense, shelter building and all other necessary endeavors to continue life.
I think the things that will do most in are the stress, unending hard work, and caloric deprivation that will continue day in and day out with no respite and no end in sight. Many will die due to medical issues. Some people will be saddled with incredible drags from members of their family, either due to physical ailments, an inability to adjust to a new reality or just a lazy entitled mentality. Hard choices will have to be made regarding these people. people will become ill, injured, depressed, despondent, suicidal. migration outflow from the cities to rural areas will occur in the belief that things will be better there. Without meaningful skills, supplies or social attachment to the community they land in these people will have to somehow be dealt with.
99% of people in America lack the basic starting point in terms of equipment and supplies not to mention the skills necessary to utilize them effectively. A gun and ammo will certainly be necessary but unless you want to fill the role of marauder until your luck or victims runs out, won’t sustain you or your family. Most people in America today don’t own axes, saws, shovels, mattocks, hoes, (the garden implement), water filtration equipment, vegetable seeds, fire starting equipment. most clothing today is not made with the warmth and durability necessary, on the plus side we have a lot of it. Side note, most people’s cloths wont fit anymore after two months. Most of the things we have now and use daily would be mostly useless in an environment where there was no electricity, no food supply chain.
For information on the basic how to‘s of living a primitive lifestyle the Foxfire books are probably the best starting point. Remember though, that these skills were being used in a society that was fully at terms with a physically demanding existence where everyone, including children was acclimated to the hardships of life and participated in the necessary work, which was endless. Should the wheels fall off society, the power grid go, grocery stores permanently empty, water not coming out of the faucet, no internet, this won’t be that.
Not meaning to be overly critical, but you exhibit possibly the most deadly trait for survival. A very negative attitude. Sure, it will be a huge change of lifestyle and more physical work that many are used to, but it can also be extremely rewarding. A simpler lifestyle and bonding together of family sounds pretty good to me. The transition will be stressful, but the better prepared you are, the less stressful it will be. This is especially true for calorie intake.

It's not actually very hard to produce enough food if you are prepared to do it and have enough time. A year should be plenty of time to create a permanent stream of food production. That's why I have enough food stockpiled to feed my entire family and a few others for a full year.

hmmm...my checklist has turned into SHTF scenarios and philosophical enlightenment...lol

I’m going to go back through all the posts and make a list based off everyone’s recommendations.

Also, I’ve been watching magic prepper, sensible prepper (probably the absolute best), DIY prepper, and city prepping (more philosophical).

Just got freeze dryer for some of these reasons. 1/2 of my first batch and still learning. Pic from this morning.

Attachments

• 20230130_053902.jpg
    20230130_053902.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 6
If they survive the wife and grandkids this morning, sealed in mylar with O2 absorber is supposed to be 25 years. Starting out with some simple things before making meals. I also have a chamber vacuum sealer to seal tight. Gotten some great advise on getting it set up.

Back
Top Bottom