• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Primers - striker fired vs hammer fired pistols

I count on my ammo. I shoot nothing else. When I read that people don't carry their handloads as defensive rounds, I assume it's due to the liability.

If I didn't know my ammo was better than any factory stuff, I wouldn't bother with it at all. All my defensive stuff runs proven loads and components.

I'm with Chuck when it comes to trusting my reloads. I'm QC'ing every round and trust that is is good for the purpose intended. But when you go out to practice and discover that one of the components are questionable in your striker fired pistols, it is very disheartening. I guess this is where "knowing you equipment/components" comes into play. I'd never used Wolf primers before and assumed they were made to the same specs as all Small Pistol Primers. Another lesson learned.

Before I bought the few bricks of Wolf I researched others reviews but didn't find anything in this realm. Nothing is 100%, ie- a primer here or there that may not ignite. You can get that in factory loaded ammo. I'd doubt that there are different manufacturing lines of primers for the commercial market and the general consumer market.

I have been running the Wolf Small Rifle and Small Pistol primers and have had all the problems noted. I have used at least 10000 of them.

They work in the 1911's, but not in my Glocks.

My glocks are setup for Self Defense and I also shoot IPSC with them. They have the extra power Wolf Springs striker spring and still are not reliable with the Wolf Primers.

I run a different brand when it counts.

I have never had an issue with primers until recently. I bought a Glock 19 that shot amazing but had quite a few light primer strikes at the range with my reloads. This was strange because I have shot thousands of reloads with the same composition in my XDm's. I am using CCI primers. I took the gun to Glock and they cleaned it and looked everything over. Since then it has been functional, but not yet reliable.

On the topic of reloads for SD, I load every single round with the intention of working perfectly and performing better than factory ammo. Most of my guns have ammo I have loaded in them. I am confident in my ammo or I would not try to shoot it.

Back
Top Bottom