• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA 1911 build

Yeah, I plan on sanding the pin down next time. I should have tried that instead of forcing it in. It's only $2-3 so Ill order a handful just in case anyone on here runs into a problem and needs one. It stinks having to stop and wait for a pin! Once I sand down the grip safety all that's left is the barrel fitment/assembly. I am going to need assistance with that for sure. What specialty tools do you use?

You have just found one of the MANY REASONS to keep a spare set of Pins on hand...BT,DT...LOL!... :) ....mikey357

Was playing around with the PSA frames last night (in my spare time) and tried some different grip safeties on it.. the closest to fit OOB was a Remington.. actually fit darn well.. gap isn't perfect but if you can accept it the rest of the safety is a nice fit.. Very little blending left. Brown safeties aren't even close..

you can get the safeties at CDNN for $17 !!!!

Last edited:
I did some more blending but in doing so I now have some other "uneven" spots. I think I'll just need to get to a point where I think its good enough because perfection will not be obtained on my first build. I hope to get a little sanding in tonight or tomorrow morning and post some pics.

The trigger pull was 7lbs so I polished all the flats on the internals and trigger channel which got me down to 6lbs. Next, I swapped the 19lb hammer spring I originally ordered with a 17lb spring as suggested by bluesman2a bluesman2a but it didn't make a difference??? Still registering a 6lb pull.

Just a quick update. @markj was kind enough to begin the barrel fitting process with me. He fit the hood of the barrel and showed me what I needed to do to get the upper lug engagement set correctly. I'm about half way there. Started at .0548in and down to .0515in now so its time to slow it down and start marking it up with dykem blue.

I did fit a new thumb safety as the "extra wide" one I had was obscene. Here are some pics...might be able to tell I did some more blending. I keep telling myself, it wont be perfect on my first build and to accept these results....
IMG_3745.JPG
IMG_3744.JPG
IMG_3743.JPG
IMG_3742.JPG

I did fit a new thumb safety as the "extra wide" one I had was obscene.

I know what you mean. Some of the comp safeties are built for people to ride on top of the safety as part of their grip technique. If you look at a lot of them, you can see that there are ones with shields on the sides too, to keep your hands off the slide as it moves. For the bigger safeties like yours, I would imagine that once you got to shooting it, you would have an issue with the web of your hand engaging the weak-side safety during recoil. I had this on my first build and had to cut them down significantly. There IS some expectation that you can/will shape the paddles to your taste, but I'm finding that I'd rather START with the tactical/high-ride/carry kind of safety you have pictured above.

On the barrel, I'm right there with you... I am having to start mine too.

Was going to get that stupid little roll pin for the ejector put in this morning and I ordered the wrong ones! Apparently Wilson Combat has pins for a special model but they don't designate them unless you look at the actual discription of the pin. They are both listed as "stainless ejector pin" and both the same price. I didn't even notice. So now I have three useless pins. The pins I received are larger in diameter (.094") and since the hole is (1/16" or .0625") and they aren't roll pins - I don't think I can make them work.

I need to order a plunger tube staking tool anyway so I'll just order some more pins. Both the Strobel and Gun Runners plunger tube staking tools have received very good reviews. Anybody have a preference?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...tools/plunger-tube-staking-tool-prod9489.aspx
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/137021/strobel-plunger-tube-staking-tool-1911

Back
Top Bottom