• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA Tire pressure

Allsmiles

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
165   0
Reaction score
I was checking and adjusting the tires on my Ridgeline earlier today since the weather has cooled off from July. After adding a couple of pounds to each of them; I decided to check the spare that has never been on the road. Well, it had very low air pressure and wouldn't have made a suitable spare. So, check all your tire pressures INCLUDING the spare if you vehicle has one. It might just save your butt if you or family member has a flat.

On a related note, my Ridgeline has a slow leak that no one can find. The left rear tire loses about 10 psi every 3-4 weeks.
Discount Tires and Mavis both checked it and told me that they couldn't detect the leak. This has been going on for over a year without the leak getting better or worse. I worry that it might be a hairline crack in the wheel itself; and only leaks when the weight of the truck causes it to open just enough to leak.

A tire repair kit and compressor have saved me more than a few times from being stuck on the side of the road. My wife has those low profile tires on her Grand Cherokee, they're always dropping pressure when the weather changes

Alloy wheels shrink slightly in the cold weather, especially in the AM when you start the car and the TPMS light is on due to slight air loss. I go through this every single year with my kids who call me up to say the light is on. I tell them to drive a little, heat up the tires and the air will expand slightly to increase the PSI enough to turn off the light. Works every time.

On a related note, my Ridgeline has a slow leak that no one can find. The left rear tire loses about 10 psi every 3-4 weeks.
Discount Tires and Mavis both checked it and told me that they couldn't detect the leak. This has been going on for over a year without the leak getting better or worse. I worry that it might be a hairline crack in the wheel itself; and only leaks when the weight of the truck causes it to open just enough to leak.
Check your valve stem and core. Might be as simple as this. Best way is to put soapy water on it and see if you see a tiny bubble.

This is why I carry a tire inflator in all my cars. I try to remember to check my spares, but I guarantee you that anyone you stop to help (the little old lady trying to put on a spare by herself, for example) is going to have a flat spare tire.

Even one of those crappy $20 Wal-Mart inflators is better than nothing.

Back
Top Bottom