• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSAK-47 GB2 MOE rifle - a great American AK?

I do not shoot corrosive ammo either, but chrome greatly extends barrel life, ESPECIALLY if you shoot Russian ammo, with steel jackets. Yes, steel in bullets is softer than barrel steel, but water wears out rocks too.

From what I understand though, the nitride treatments are actually better than chrome for extending barrel life across the board, both in terms of wear and corrosion.

The only negative I've heard about these so far is that the high temps required to apply them mean you have to be careful not to actually weaken the part. No problem for a company that knows what it's doing, but I would be leery about a bargain basement 'nitrided' part.

I picked up 3 AK-47'S., last week. But, I have seen good deal's here on American made AK-47, but there reviews suck, and when you guys on ODT talk about shifty guns, it winds up being the truth.
I still have not seen what the AK-47's guys on ODT consider GOOD AK's except the Arsenal AK's.
My 3 New additions are:
1-WASR 10
2-Hungarian AND
3- Serbian M-70,
Well i know the WASR is the crude looking work horse and should be good to go. And everyone that's had an AMD seemed to love them. They're just funny looking to me. And I guess the M70 is the full stock version of my M70AB2. And I know they're over but. So I'd say smart shopping on your end.

I have heard good things about AMD, but do not have any personal experience with on.
FWIW, I got an AMD from Classic a couple months ago and the build quality is sh*t. Not worth the $499 I spent on it. I'm sure than an actual import, not a rifle built in the US off of a kit by a bunch of drunk monkeys is probably a good rifle, but definitely worth doing some research and being selective.

I'll admit that I know ZERO about AKs, so this may be a dumb question, but why is it so hard for a US manufacturer to make a decent one? I thought they were supposed to be fairly simple guns?

It's not just the US manufacturers, its the US gun buying customers. US companies produce cheap, inferior made weapons because they know the public will buy them over a more expensive, properly built akm.

Simple is an inaccurate term. It's takes time, skill and some experience to properly set rivets, straight trunnions, etc. All of this takes more resources than popping out $500 aks.

The platform was engineered around specific concepts and a lot of people just do not understand how the parts were designed and evolved to work together.

People would much rather spend $500 and hope their rifle holds up, than spend what is necessary to get a 100% squared away Ak. We all hear the stories of the guy that buys a wasr and swears by it it because it shoots ok at the range. Most don't see the cheap guns that fire out of battery because of headspacing issues, or see the weapons that develop cracks in parts like trunnions and receivers, etc.

It's not a lego system like an AR. It takes a much more rounded knowledge in machining techniques to properly make an ak.

FWIW, I got an AMD from Classic a couple months ago and the build quality is sh*t. Not worth the $499 I spent on it. I'm sure than an actual import, not a rifle built in the US off of a kit by a bunch of drunk monkeys is probably a good rifle, but definitely worth doing some research and being selective.

A lot of people consider those guns to be parts kits. If you dislike it, don't be afraid to take it apart and rebuild it properly.

A lot of people consider those guns to be parts kits. If you dislike it, don't be afraid to take it apart and rebuild it properly.
That would be an accurate assessment. I'm going to end up taking it apart and building it (correctly). I guess for $499, what do you expect? Just a word of caution who thinks these builds are anything some of the earlier AMD builds.

That would be an accurate assessment. I'm going to end up taking it apart and building it (correctly). I guess for $499, what do you expect? Just a word of caution who thinks these builds are anything some of the earlier AMD builds.

Yeah, a lot of the earlier ones had issues as well. I see people loving yugos a lot but over half of them left the factory with headspace issues and most are parts kit guns as well. Strange but as a whole, America builds the worst AKs in the world.

Back
Top Bottom