Question about 30 carbine loading

I checked some of my old notes on the carbine and found a load for 11 gr of 2400 and 13 gr of h110, and 14 gr of 4227. With the 14 gr load of 4227 being a max load. Most of these were with the lyman bullet no 311359 ( 115-120 gr ) depending on the source, this is also a gas check design. the 2400 load was with lyman mold no. 311410 and shows as a 130 gr bullet. I will try to take some photo's on the old manuals data sheets later and attach to this thread. Please be aware that these are loads and powders from 50 years ago and proceed with caution when using any of them. I shot all of these with various m-1 carbines, and m-1 revolvers, with no problems. I did have some issues with the blackhawk I acquired in the mid 1970's leaving a lead ring in the cylinder that would lock up the action after awhile, that I was never able to resolve and just ended up shooting jacketed bullets in that particular gun. Bullets were mostly sized 311. I would also caution against using unique unless extreme caution is used in loading, blew up a nice carbine with that one in this same time period. If I can be of further assistance shoot me a pm and let me know. Joe.

009.JPG 010.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG
I checked some of my old notes on the carbine and found a load for 11 gr of 2400 and 13 gr of h110, and 14 gr of 4227. With the 14 gr load of 4227 being a max load. Most of these were with the lyman bullet no 311359 ( 115-120 gr ) depending on the source, this is also a gas check design. the 2400 load was with lyman mold no. 311410 and shows as a 130 gr bullet. I will try to take some photo's on the old manuals data sheets later and attach to this thread. Please be aware that these are loads and powders from 50 years ago and proceed with caution when using any of them. I shot all of these with various m-1 carbines, and m-1 revolvers, with no problems. I did have some issues with the blackhawk I acquired in the mid 1970's leaving a lead ring in the cylinder that would lock up the action after awhile, that I was never able to resolve and just ended up shooting jacketed bullets in that particular gun. Bullets were mostly sized 311. I would also caution against using unique unless extreme caution is used in loading, blew up a nice carbine with that one in this same time period. If I can be of further assistance shoot me a pm and let me know. Joe.

hey guys, I have been out on a cruise with the "boss". just got back and see all the good info. I appreciate the info, think I will try the 110 and 4227 recipes. I have a bunch of powders so Just pick and play. I load 45 different calibers.

hey guys, I have been out on a cruise with the "boss". just got back and see all the good info. I appreciate the info, think I will try the 110 and 4227 recipes. I have a bunch of powders so Just pick and play. I load 45 different calibers.
I just loaded a couple hundred 30 carbine for my Ruger 30 carbine. I used 14 grs of h110,110 gr.hornady short jacket bullets,ccismall rifle mag. primers,lee factory crimper and they shoot great. I also loaded all the same with win 296 which i'm told is the same as h110. Same results.

for sure 296 and H110 are the same just varied lots so you may have slight variations.

the 30 carbine is a fun round to load. small amounts of powder and basically straight wall cases. I need to load some up with 110 but I had a bunch of AA #7 around and loaded some up to test that combo (110 berry's), but need to get to a range and try them out. Had to dig thru some older loading manuals to find a load for the #7.

Back
Top Bottom