• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question about some freshly cleared land

lilred06

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
So our property was overgrown, in every sense of the word, with mostly briars but other brush as well. Had it cleared and I’m going to be bush hogging it. We’ve got probably 2-3 acres of open property now, what type of grass would you plant on that?

Additional info: it won’t be used for anything specific..no livestock or anything (as of now). It’s surrounded by woods so it doesn’t need to be a super high quality grass, after all I’m cutting it with a bush hog :p not gonna be manicured.

Thanks!

• Perennial and annual ryegrass: Both germinate in just seven to 10 days.
  • Tall fescue: This grass type germinates in 10 to 14 days.
  • Kentucky bluegrass: It typically takes two to four weeks for Kentucky bluegrass to germinate.
  • Bermuda grass: The fastest-growing grass in warm climates, as it can germinate in less than 7 days.
  • Rough bluegrass: A fast-growing cool-season grass that germinates in five to 10 days and yields an established turf of shiny, fine-textured, dark green blades within five to eight weeks of seeding.
I think annual ryegrass is the cheapest and comes up the earliest.

So our property was overgrown, in every sense of the word, with mostly briars but other brush as well. Had it cleared and I’m going to be bush hogging it. We’ve got probably 2-3 acres of open property now, what type of grass would you plant on that?

Additional info: it won’t be used for anything specific..no livestock or anything (as of now). It’s surrounded by woods so it doesn’t need to be a super high quality grass, after all I’m cutting it with a bush hog :p not gonna be manicured.

Thanks!
Take some soil samples to your county extension agent along with the same information and questions posted here. Let the experts give you their recommendations along with what nutrients, if any, that are needed. Less chance in wasting $$$ and get proper info. They were awesome for me here in Henry county! Took about 2 weeks.

This time of year your in between planting seasons for warm grass or cool. Rye grass is probably your best option for now. It will die off when it gets hot. Get your soil sample done and I would look at Hancock seed or Athens seed. They both carry many grass seeds that would work for whatever type grass/ ground cover you want.

Take some soil samples to your county extension agent along with the same information and questions posted here. Let the experts give you their recommendations along with what nutrients, if any, that are needed. Less chance in wasting $$$ and get proper info. They were awesome for me here in Henry county! Took about 2 weeks.
Yes, this is the best way.

Now if it was me, this is what I would do as I've never used the county. Although not a bad idea. I'd smooth out the surface, spread lime and fertilizer then spread fescue. Depending, I'd probably aerate with a plugger before broadcasting. Chances are you have a acidic soil. You could let it sit for a year or so and let the soil return to a better state as well. A prescribed burn will help too. I prefer to have as few people involved as possible

Back
Top Bottom