• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

question for 223 and BL C(2)

Doe Slayer

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
using BL C(2) for first time with 55 grain Hornady. Hodgdon site as well as lee 2nd says the powder range starts at 25.5 and max at 27.5. Since I shoot with red dot, I usually load around starting range. Anyone have suggestions on shooting blc around 25.5?

My Lyman 49th lists a jacketed 55 Grain projectile loaded to a 2.260" OAL
with BL-C(2) starting at 23.0 Grains with a MAX at 26.5 Grains
Insomuch as they specify Remington Brass and tests with a Colt AR15
with 1-7 twist ... Mil-Spec Brass will need a cut in the MAX load.

Load at the lower end, increase by 1/2 grain, loading 10 rounds each or so until you reach the max loading recommendation. Fire them up and typically you will see the groups shrink, then open up. Now you know what load that rifle likes and what loading you should be throwing. You can then mess around with bullet seating depth if you desire and may squeeze some more accuracy out of the load. Many rifles like the bullet depth to just stop short of the rifling with the exception of free bored rifles (Weatherby rifles).

Hand loading is great for making very accurate rifle rounds. The care that an individual puts into his loads is often unmatched by the factories.

Welcome to the ODT Doe Slayer! Sorry about the delayed reply.

Just start slow and at the starting point suggested load and then work up to the load that starts grouping in your equipment. Safety safety, be careful and enjoy yourself......................

Back
Top Bottom