• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for attorneys / lawyers - not asking for legal advice !

From gov.uk (https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document)

Certifying a document
Certify a document as a true copy of the original by getting it signed and dated by a professional person, like a solicitor.

When you apply for something like a bank account or mortgage, you may be asked to provide documents that are certified as true copies of the original.

Copies of documents that can be certified include:
  • passports
  • photocard driving licences
  • letters from a government department
  • bank/building society or credit card statements
  • gas, electricity or council tax bills
  • letters from a hospital/doctor
Who can certify a document
To certify documents, ask a professional person or someone well-respected in your community (‘of good standing’) like a:
  • bank or building society official
  • councillor
  • minister of religion
  • dentist
  • chartered accountant
  • solicitor or notary
  • teacher or lecturer
How to certify a document
Take the photocopied document and the original and ask the person to certify the copy by:
  • writing ‘Certified to be a true copy of the original seen by me’ on the document
  • signing and dating it
  • printing their name under the signature
  • adding their occupation, address and telephone number

To certify documents, ask a professional person or someone well-respected in your community (‘of good standing’) like a:
  • minister of religion
Heck, I'm an ordained priest in The Church of the Latter Day Dude. Send me $500 and the stuff you need certified, and consider it done.

dudeism-bumper-sticker-3.25x11-med.gif

Bear in mind that while the UK and the USA share the English language, words have different meanings. Car hood is a bonnet, car trunk is a boot, wrench is a spanner, flashlight is a torch.

Aren't what we call lawyers here, barristers in the UK?? Could be "attorney certification" is just a notary here. Don't know, not a lawyer.....here or anywhere.

Certifying a document
Certify a document as a true copy of the original by getting it signed and dated by a professional person, like a solicitor.

When you apply for something like a bank account or mortgage, you may be asked to provide documents that are certified as true copies of the original.

Copies of documents that can be certified include:
  • passports
  • photocard driving licences
  • letters from a government department
  • bank/building society or credit card statements
  • gas, electricity or council tax bills
  • letters from a hospital/doctor
  • bank or building society official
  • councillor
  • minister of religion
  • dentist
  • chartered accountant
  • solicitor or notary
  • teacher or lecturer
How to certify a document
Take the photocopied document and the original and ask the person to certify the copy by:
  • writing ‘Certified to be a true copy of the original seen by me’ on the document
  • signing and dating it
  • printing their name under the signature
  • adding their occupation, address and telephone number

The bank in the UK has as subset of the above as acceptable. I'll go the notary route and see what they say. They'll only deal with anything via snail mail, so trying to get it right first time is worth the effort !

I would think a notary public, who is a sworn public official when acting in the capacity of a notary, is the kind of well-respected person or professional that the U.K. laws want to do the certification.

Georgia's own laws on notary publics say that one of the approved services a notary can provide is certify that a particular copy of a document is a true and accurate copy made from the original document.

https://www.gsccca.org/notary-and-apostilles/notaries/georgia-notary-law

Naturally, this means you have to physically possess the original, and bring it to the notary for inspection, along with the copy.

If I were the notary, under these circumstances I'd want to actually proofread each document to make sure they're mirror images of each other. 100% accurate in every way. For a short and simple document like a utility bill or bank statement, I'd do that at no extra charge. Just my usual notary fee. But for a long document that is slower to read and more difficult to compare to the copy, I'd charge more.

OR, I'd just do the copying myself, on my machine, and then I KNOW it hasn't been edited or tampered with!

My wife is a teacher & I do a lot of lecturing online & at home, i didn't realize how qualified we are! I will be capitalizing on these new found qualifications, im certain the UK could use a nice southern lecturer to certify documents.

Back
Top Bottom