Question for the Arisaka Experts

daytonlawvol

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
57   1
Reaction score
I have won an online auction on a Type 38 Arisaka Long Rifle...I have not gotten it yet but from the photos the mum is in perfect condition, not messed with at all....but it is not numbers matching as best I can tell. The receiver and bayonet lug do not have corresponding numbers.

The stock is darkened and has clearly seen some use...also has the word TAXI carved into the butt of the stock And the seller claims there are no import markings.

My most logical conclusion would be that this is a bring back from World War II because of the perfect mum and lack of import markings and perhaps TAXI was the nickname of the person who brought it back...maybe...maybe not... but the main question I would have is why would the serial numbers not match? Were the Japanese known to piece and part the rifles at different points of the war when they needed repair....it would make more sense for this to be a mixmaster that was put together after the war if the mum was defaced...

I am under the impression that the Japanese did re-arsenal some weapons during the later stages of the war. My grandfathers bring back had the mum completely defaced. Good shooters! Love that 7.7 round.

I have won an online auction on a Type 38 Arisaka Long Rifle...I have not gotten it yet but from the photos the mum is in perfect condition, not messed with at all....but it is not numbers matching as best I can tell. The receiver and bayonet lug do not have corresponding numbers.

The stock is darkened and has clearly seen some use...also has the word TAXI carved into the butt of the stock And the seller claims there are no import markings.

My most logical conclusion would be that this is a bring back from World War II because of the perfect mum and lack of import markings and perhaps TAXI was the nickname of the person who brought it back...maybe...maybe not... but the main question I would have is why would the serial numbers not match? Were the Japanese known to piece and part the rifles at different points of the war when they needed repair....it would make more sense for this to be a mixmaster that was put together after the war if the mum was defaced...

http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html

There's a serial number table about halfway down that page. Even though that chart says 1940, they were making rifles after that. The chrysanthemum marks that the rifle is property of the Empire of Japan. Surrendered rifles routinely had the mum defaced as a show of respect to the Emperor. With that being said, you most likely have a bringback that was captured "in battle" or shortly after a battle. It could have been shipped, smuggled, or brought through the formal process. Your rifle was probably repaired by an arsenal at some point before being reissued and then ultimately captured. That markings page will give you a better idea about what you have.

Back
Top Bottom