Question on carry license exemption

MFCory

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
6   0
Reaction score
So I've been reading the laws for Georgia and it says that persons with a military I.D. Are exempt from needing a conceal carry license. Now my question is does that also include retired military seeing as I do have a military I.D. I live in Newnan, GA if that makes a difference at all.

I know a lot of the LEO's in Newnan and they probably wouldn't hassle me but I just want to know if it's legal. You know incase god forbid something happens I want to make sure I'm covered until my license comes in

16-11-30 includes both "current" and "retired" exemptions for some professions, but does not mention anything about retired military being an exemption. As such, I would surmise that only those "currently serving" in the military would qualify for the exemption. I'd recommend getting your GWL and not worrying about it after that.

Thanks everyone I called the probate court to find out for sure but they weren't much help so I guess ill just wait for my license to come in and it'll just stay in the car or at home till then. Another quick question. Is it legal to have hollow point rounds in ur carry handgun? And also am I aloud to take the handgun from my car into a gun store or range as along as it is unloaded and in a case?

Yes it is perfectly legal in GA to use hollow point ammo. Some states restrict JHP rounds, Georgia is not one of them. If you travel with your gun out of state then be sure to research state laws where you will be/travel through and follow their laws when in their state. It is also perfectly legal to carry your loaded weapon (with a GWL) anywhere not prohibited by law (OCGA 16-11-127 for Georgia restrictions and don't forget about places illegal based on Federal law). Signs hold no weight in Georgia for places not prohibited by law, but if you are asked to leave because you are carrying and don't then you can be arrested for criminal trespassing. Many gun stores/ranges do not like customers carrying loaded guns but others have no problem with it, though it's not against the law to carry even if they "forbid" it (again, see criminal trespassing though). I only frequent gun stores/ranges that don't mind me carrying unless I have a really good reason to go to some of the less carry-friendly places.

Additional answers to questions you may have can probably be found here http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carry-laws-explained/frequently-asked-questions/

p.s. GCO is a great organization to be a member of and support ;)

Yes it is perfectly legal in GA to use hollow point ammo. Some states restrict JHP rounds, Georgia is not one of them. If you travel with your gun out of state then be sure to research state laws where you will be/travel through and follow their laws when in their state. It is also perfectly legal to carry your loaded weapon (with a GWL) anywhere not prohibited by law (OCGA 16-11-127 for Georgia restrictions and don't forget about places illegal based on Federal law). Signs hold no weight in Georgia for places not prohibited by law, but if you are asked to leave because you are carrying and don't then you can be arrested for criminal trespassing. Many gun stores/ranges do not like customers carrying loaded guns but others have no problem with it, though it's not against the law to carry even if they "forbid" it (again, see criminal trespassing though). I only frequent gun stores/ranges that don't mind me carrying unless I have a really good reason to go to some of the less carry-friendly places.

Additional answers to questions you may have can probably be found here http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carry-laws-explained/frequently-asked-questions/

p.s. GCO is a great organization to be a member of and support ;)

16-11-30 includes both "current" and "retired" exemptions for some professions, but does not mention anything about retired military being an exemption. As such, I would surmise that only those "currently serving" in the military would qualify for the exemption. I'd recommend getting your GWL and not worrying about it after that.

The sailor is on point. Retired military is not exempted and to be legal you are required to purchase and pay for the right to bear arms in order to exercise your second amendment right.

Back
Top Bottom