• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question on reloading ammo to sell to friends

For gunsmithing, there are a few schools that have dedicated programs. Take a look at those.

On reloading, there's the FFL requirement, insurance and other costs not always considered. On top of that, you'll have to manage to find a reliable supplier for components, and at a cost that you can make money.

Reloading for friends and etc...
Don't

for all of the reasons stated above and more.

as for Gunsmithing,
Q: Whats the difference between a Gunsmith and a large pizza?
A: A Large pizza feeds a family of 4

As some replied "incorporate", I would encourage you to seek legal advice from YOUR attorney on the possibility of "pass through" and how it may effect you as a "sole" proprietor. Being retired military myself I have several LLC's for my different business endeavors. the $$$ paid to set entities up properly can save $$$$$$$$ in the future. As for Insurance, only a fool would operate without it. Even then it may not pay if negligence own your part is determined (sorry, married to a insurance wholesaler). I have reloaded for 10+ years and due to the POTENTIAL liability only I shoot my reloads. No, wife, kids, relatives and defiantly NO friends. Keep in mind in a suit their is only Plaintiff & Defendant! No matter how close you are and no matter how much you want to get your name "out there". If you are retired with a pension you really have something to consider, you would hate to loose that in a judgment. Just my TCW. If it is truly your passion go chase your dreams. Just protect yourself in doing so:)

I refuse to reload for someone else. Too much liability. Plus if there were an accident I couldnt live with myself.

Same here.

That said, if the OP wants to start a reloading company, he should probably talk to an attorney first. I think an LLC would probably be a good idea.

Definitely don't want to get your ass sued off. I would imagine that any reloading related lawsuit would be very expensive to defend- even if it had no real basis.

Yeah, that's so far past what I even considered. I really just wanted to look into reloading to make some cash on the side. But everyone has made some good valid points, and it's definitely too much. Especially with the liability.

For gunsmithing you really do need to go to one of the schools, but they all accept any GI benefits you get.

I have heard of an 'online' gunsmithing school (Sonoran desert institute), but I don't know how well that's being received in the industry. They say they are accredited but I don't know if that will get you a job when you finish.

Back
Top Bottom