• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question on steel door for gun room.

I built a safe room when I built a garage apartment. I bought a safe door. It weighs about 1200 lbs but was snap to install. The room is a room within the building that is concrete block, concrete wire at each block level, rebar dropped into each hole in the block (top to bottom). Then Portland cement was pumped into the holes to harden around the rebar. The top is 3 layers of 16 ga expanded metal, 2 layers of 3/4" plywood, with metal straps going from wall to wall embedded in the cement. All of this lagged in the ceiling joist of the second floor, then covered in 2 layers of sheetrock for fire protection. The door has 10 1.5" stainless stell locker, anti-cut rollers inside and other crap that I do not remember. The door was about 4000 delivered from Ohio. The room is 16'x12' and a cell phone does not work inside. I sealed it from air (fire) and put a dehumidifier inside. I build standing racks around the walls and put peg board up for the handguns. I store ammo in 50 cal ammo cans that store under the standing racks. The only problem I have is I wish I had made it bigger. I did not try to hide the door as it looks like a safe from inside the building.

I actually bought a safe and torch cut the front 6 inches off of it with the door still in it. Drilled and lag bolted the whole thing into a steel casing in a concrete wall.

Nice. That's similar to what I want to do. I'm going to cut the back out of a safe so it just looks like a safe against a wall. You'll enter the gun room through the safe.

In Jasper GA off Hwy 515 the Bargin Barn has a few safe door styles on display and of course tons of safes. The last time I was there they were trying to unload them for way cheaper then normal but that may have been the end of year sale. I hope this helps in your project.

In Jasper GA off Hwy 515 the Bargin Barn has a few safe door styles on display and of course tons of safes. The last time I was there they were trying to unload them for way cheaper then normal but that may have been the end of year sale. I hope this helps in your project.

I bought my safe there about 12 years ago and they had the best prices on the best safes I could afford. I haven't been there in a while but I would look there first if I ever buy another!!

I bought my safe there about 12 years ago and they had the best prices on the best safes I could afford. I haven't been there in a while but I would look there first if I ever buy another!!

That's back when Janie owned the store...God love her she sold the store and has since passed away...

Back
Top Bottom