• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question on where to start,

Coach

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
25   0
Reaction score
I know nothing about suppressors, but would like to be able to shoot on my 6 acres and not bother the neighbors.

If I suppressed a .243 would they be able to hear it 200 yards away?

Also, does Quiet Riot walk you thru the process to be able to buy one.

QR is one of the the best places to start... very helpful folks.

I would say a 22 can is the way to start. They are cheap(er), super flexible and they are the only ones that are actually 'Hollywood' quiet. They are also the most fun suppressor for some reason.

I would say that at 200 yards the noise impulse of a 243 would still be heard even if you got the decibels down to well below 140 (hearing “safe”). It’ll be quieter, but will still sound like a rifle.

Remember that decibels are a logarithmic scale. Every 3 decibels is a doubling of the sound.

OSHA states that more than one ( 1 !!!!) exposure to 140 decibels in a 24 hour period is enough to cause hearing loss. Wear hearing protection no matter what the slick ads say about reducing 97% of the noise.

I’d suggest getting the biggest (no replacement for displacement) and best can you can (sorry for the double can-can). If you have a 30 cal, get a 30 cal can and put it one whichever fun you’re shooting. If you have a 45 pistol, get a 458 socom can.

That’s my opinion. Others may differ.

Best of luck!

The can wont make it so quiet the neighbors wont hear, but it will make it less invasive to the neighbors. Plus its more pleasant for YOU to shoot. Id definitely look at a .30 cal can rated up to 300 WM so you can shoot it on pretty much any hunting/ fun rifle you'd own.

If the ammo you are using is high velocity it will break the sound barrier down range and your neighbors will hear it. Will be quieter where you are standing but not down range.

You definitely going to want to shoot subsonic rounds. So .22, 9mm, .300blk and from what I understand .38spl in a lever gun are going to be your quietest rounds.

Quiet Riot are good folks. I brought my Osprey from them.... I live in Kennesaw. LOL

If the ammo you are using is high velocity it will break the sound barrier down range and your neighbors will hear it. Will be quieter where you are standing but not down range.
I agree, without subsonic ammo, no real down range suppression. Around me, anything above 1045 FPS even with a suppressor, is loud.

You definitely going to want to shoot subsonic rounds. So .22, 9mm, .300blk and from what I understand .38spl in a lever gun are going to be your quietest rounds.

Quiet Riot are good folks. I brought my Osprey from them.... I live in Kennesaw. LOL

Marlin has a 357/38 lever now with a threaded barrel for a 9mm can. 38s are super quiet and the best thing is (just like a bolt gun) no gas back in the face.

as others have said, with 243 your neighbors will hear it for sure. they just won't really know where it's coming from.

The main difference for most people is if you want to be truly quiet, you need to shoot subsonic bullets. That's less than 1050fps give or take (speed of sound varies depending upon temperature, altitude, etc). If you keep the bullets below that speed, you don't get the sonic boom when it breaks the sound barrier. Shooting supersonic is still better with a can/supressor, but it's still going to be loud, it's just harder to figure out where its coming from, and the shooter doesn't have as much direct noise.

If you shoot subsonic rounds, there will be little noise and you should be better off with keeping things quiet. Some platforms will be louder than others (ar15 vs bolt rifle) and even with different ammo there will be some differences.

As others have stated, you should look for calibers that would be best run suppressed and see if you want to go there. Do you want to target shoot? hunt? get rid of varmints? That might lead you towards a rifle/caliber/suppressor setup that would work for you. Anything from a single shot 300 blackout with a Dead Air Nomad suppressor to a Ruger Mark IV Lite with a 22 can.

For suppressed calibers any pistol caliber is easy to keep quiet (147gr 9mm, 230gr 45 ACP, 158gr 38 special, 240gr 44 special, etc). Once you move to rifle calibers you need a small case and a big bullet. 300 Blackout is probably the most readily available and you can shoot subsonic rounds (200+gr) or supersonic bullets for better ballistics (125gr). You can find 308 subsonic rounds but they will cost you more as it's not a major factory loading usually. Look for something with heavy bullets (338 federal might be a better option if you want a 308 platform), and there are lots of wildcat calibers that work but sometimes finding a good suppressor for larger calibers can get $$$. Not to mention the ammo (thinking 458 SOCOM, 450 Bushmaster, etc).

Buy yes I would recommend going to a good class III dealer and tell them what you want to do and they will point you in the right direction and walk you thru the steps of submitting paperwork for everything. it's a very simple process, just takes time to wait for the government to do their thing (I bought 2 cans last Thanksgiving and still waiting on them).

Back
Top Bottom