• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

QUick decapping.

Last edited:
Quick question, do you guys know if all the dies work universal with each other like RCBS, Hornady, LEE ect... I noticed they use the same kind of system like the Bushing,..

Dude you are awesome! But my puller is hornady....

Not following you. A puller has nothing to do with decapping.

The handheld press will work too but might be slower and might cause more hand fatigue. I like decapping a bunch at once. Like hundreds per session. Last time I timed it, I think I decapped 500 cases in 45 minutes using the decapping die in a bench mounted press. Goes really fast. Then I batch size and prime until I have several hundred cases ready for powder. When I go to to load powder and bullet, it moves along at a much faster pace. I'm up to 250-275 rounds per hour on a turret press.

Not following you. A puller has nothing to do with decapping. The handheld press will work too but might be slower and might cause more hand fatigue. I like decapping a bunch at once. Like hundreds per session. Last time I timed it, I think I decapped 500 cases in 45 minutes using the decapping die in a bench mounted press. Goes really fast. Then I batch size and prime until I have several hundred cases ready for powder. When I go to to load powder and bullet, it moves along at a much faster pace. I'm up to 250-275 rounds per hour on a turret press.

Sorry yeah I don't know where my mind went that minute but I caught my mistake and corrected it. LOL I think I was thinking but typing at same time and didn't mean to type that response. But yeah I think the mounted single press would be the ideal start. Would it be a problem to deprime and resize then clean?

Sorry yeah I don't know where my mind went that minute but I caught my mistake and corrected it. LOL I think I was thinking but typing at same time and didn't mean to type that response. But yeah I think the mounted single press would be the ideal start. Would it be a problem to deprime and resize then clean?

I can't see why it would be a problem but maybe someone more experienced can offer more insight. I did it that way when I started and didn't have any problems, but my die would get super dirty. I did not want to wear out my depriming/resizing die so I got a dedicated decapping die. Now I always resize when I prime cleaned cases.

I can't see why it would be a problem but maybe someone more experienced can offer more insight. I did it that way when I started and didn't have any problems, but my die would get super dirty. I did not want to wear out my depriming/resizing die so I got a dedicated decapping die. Now I always resize when I prime cleaned cases.

Yeah dirty isn't a problem but I don't have much time as it is and I don't want to spend 50% of it cleaning my press. I rather have a dedicated one so I can clean it when it really needs it! I will definitely think about that press! I kind of like hornady so I could have it all match just incase I resell but looks like I'll keep this press for a long time. I didn't realize how much money it takes to start!

There is a lot of good advice in this thread.

Here is mine.

If you are working with pistol cases, tumble them with the primers still installed in a standard vibratory tumbler. De-cap and size at the same time. The final product will shoot just as well at 25 yards or less.

The primer pockets do not need to be cleaned.

They do need to be dry. If you are using a wet system, then yes, you will need to de-cap the cases first.

Back
Top Bottom