Quick diagnose tips for AR malfunctions

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
You’ve got a well-made rifle that always worked, and she suddenly stops working. Use MEALO to find the most common culprits:

-Magazine: Number your magazines. If you have a feeding related problem, take note of which magazine you were using when it happened. If you have the same issue again, with that same magazine, and only that magazine, that’s more than likely your culprit.

-Ejector/Extractor: Both wear out, and both have springs that wear out. I use Sprinco ejector springs, and either Sprinco 5-coil or Colt “copper” extractor springs. Too much extractor spring can cause worse problems than not enough. If you’re not running a 5.56 with a barrel 10.3” or shorter, you don’t need the Crane O-ring/donut around the extractor spring.…….ditch it. The problem it is designed to correct is not nearly as bad as the problem that it can cause.

-Ammo: Need I say more?

-Lubrication: Usually the lack of, oftentimes combined with fouling. When in doubt, use more lube. I’ve never seen an M16/M4/AR choke because of too much lube, but I’ve seen plenty stop because of not enough.

-Operator: Riding the charging handle instead of releasing it. Not ensuring the magazine is seated and locked. More.

L-lubrication; I know of a good man prominent figure, NRA member(gun site 12yr ), CWO-Marine, NYPD(54 commendations including M.O.Valor incorporated EAG Firearms(25yr) Instructor I can go on and on ............
Back to the point He did not clean his AR-15's only lubed Yeah thats right NEVER cleaned only kept them well lubed............ he toted one around that had 50,000 + down the pipe

L-lubrication; I know of a good man prominent figure, NRA member(gun site 12yr ), CWO-Marine, NYPD(54 commendations including M.O.Valor incorporated EAG Firearms(25yr) Instructor I can go on and on ............
Back to the point He did not clean his AR-15's only lubed Yeah thats right NEVER cleaned only kept them well lubed............ he toted one around that had 50,000 + down the pipe
Until I started shooting suppressed, I only cleaned mine maybe 2x a year. Quality ammo goes a long way.

I would rather have a well-lubed, filthy AR than a clean, dry one.

I have a friend who heard me say "a little bit of grease on the action spring will reduce the AR-15 'boing'". So they PACKED the extension tube with grease.

We played you know what getting it all out.

THAT was a 'little too much' lube.
We don’t know what… what did you guys do to that poor receiver extension?

Back
Top Bottom