• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Quick question about presenting your carry permit

Cigar Dave

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
46   0
Reaction score
I'm sure I've seen it on here, but due to a "situation" at work...can a LEO ask and/or require seeing your carry permit? What about a "security officer" at a business?
Thanks,
Dave

Nope. You do not have to produce a permit upon request. For LEO, asking had better not be the only reason he's detaining you either. That's a no no for him. You can tell security to go **** himself. He has no more authority than you do.

I play it by ear. Generally if LEO is asking and everything is cool I'll show mine to expidite the situation. That's about it though.

Ask security for his drivers license and social security number in trade and see how he acts. :)

That's what I was thinking...there's a new "policy" where I work and I was questioning it...does anyone know the statute about not being asked to produce it by chance...?

Last edited:
You could always do what an idiot buddy of mine did on a traffic stop once and yell out the window "I have a gun!"

www.threadbombing.com_data_media_20_ComingToAmericaLaugh.gif

That's what I was thinking...there's a new "policy" where I work (hospital) and I was questioning it...does anyone know the statute about not being asked to produce it by chance...?

Check House Bill 60 the "guns everywhere law"

"A person carrying a weapon shall not be subject to detention for the sole purpose of investigating whether such person has a weapons carry license"

Last edited:
I'm sure I've seen it on here, but due to a "situation" at work...can a LEO ask and/or require seeing your carry permit? What about a "security officer" at a business?
Thanks,
Dave

Dave, I believe the above answers are correct for a traffic stop, etc. However they have ignored that you stipulated this is a situation at work. I know where you work, or at least where you used to work. Most places like that have the anti-gun signs at every entrance as well as various places within. I might soft pedal the rules regardless of what is the letter of the law. On the other hand, you haven't said that this is your personal situation at work. Good luck with it.

IANAL

Any LEO can "ASK" you for your GWCL in a consensual encounter, detaining you and demanding your GWCL without RAS or PC is now codified as a no no.

Seems you are asking more about a property rights issue to me. Hospitals are usually either private property or they are public property. There is a big difference between the two when it comes to your RTKBA as an employee.

A lot more detail needs to be given to possibly give a right answer to your question.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom