• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Quota hunts: today's the day!

Thanks for the heads up. My Daughter and I have more priority points to acquire for a few of the hunts and I hope to get my WMA deer hunt of choice drawn this year.

Good luck getting drawn. Putting both you and your daughter in gives you priority and will better your chances.

I think this year I'm putting in for a few different ones, I have a ton of points built up that need turning in. I'll give you a shout and maybe we can hit some of the same hunts.

I only put in for Hard Labor Creek state park and Chattahoochee fall line WMA. Those are the ones I really want...Chattahoochee fall line is the old Fort Perry, where North American Whitetail did their studies for years. It is right next door to my property in Marion County. It has been a good producer since they opened the quota hunts on it a couple years ago. The points list wait for it is at least 4 years. :shocked:

Can someone remind me do I need to do anything to get more points? Or just leave it alone and don't put in for hunts? This is my second year in the system.

I've got a truckload of points. We should do an ODT group hunt/invasion. In....

I would like to do that, but don't think I have the points to guarantee a spot anywhere.
It took me 3 years of being denied before I got drawn for Hard Labor Creek state park. Its a good one, beautiful woods and nice deer. Take your son if you put in for this one. He will love it!
If you have a lot of points you should also consider putting in for the Chattahoochee fall line hunt. The 2nd hunt. Its perhaps the best kept secret among the quota hunts because it is still pretty new to the quota hunt deal.

Have 2 state park and 2 WMA need someone to hunt with.PM and we will put in for a deer hunt

I would love to go with you, but I can't guarantee I have enough points to get in anywhere. Some of the bigger, less competitive ones, sure, but not the best ones.
I don't want to waste my points by getting drawn for a hunt I don't care to attend.
I need to put in for the gator hunts as well. I have never put in for them and now is the time to get with it. It will only take 5-7 years minimum before I get drawn! :very_drunk:
I REALLY want to gator hunt...

Good luck getting drawn. Putting both you and your daughter in gives you priority and will better your chances.

I only put in for Hard Labor Creek state park and Chattahoochee fall line WMA. Those are the ones I really want...Chattahoochee fall line is the old Fort Perry, where North American Whitetail did their studies for years. It is right next door to my property in Marion County. It has been a good producer since they opened the quota hunts on it a couple years ago. The points list wait for it is at least 4 years. :shocked:

We've had some great hunts on both tracts. Last season was our first time hunting Ft Perry. We hope to draw it again this year (Adult/Child) You can't go wrong with either of them.

Reactions: MRH
Can someone remind me do I need to do anything to get more points? Or just leave it alone and don't put in for hunts? This is my second year in the system.
You'll need to do an application for each individual hunt that you wish to acquire points for. Make sure to specify "No first choice" to accumulate points only. If you really want to attend a particular hunt, go ahead and make the selection for that one in particular and make no additional selections. We were drawn for Flint River's first gun hunt with only 2 points several years ago. Sometimes things work out in your favor from a mathematical standpoint vs level of priority.

I'm new.
What's with the point?
If you apply for a hunt and you don't get selected to attend, you obtain a "priority point" that can be wagered next year. You will then be considered for selection over those with less points than you. Some folks bank points and then decide to use them once they have enough to ensure their selection.

Our hunting group alternates the hunts on a yearly basis to ensure that we get drawn for at least one hunt almost every season.
For example, we are wagering at least 3 points for WMA Deer while putting in for points only for WMA Hog. Next year, we will apply for WMA Deer and WMA Hog points only while we attend a NWR hunt, which operates on a totally different quota system that doesn't use points. In addition, several of us are banking points for Alligator and are going on different years. That one is more of an individual thing as it's hard to pack our group on one boat.
I'm also banking points for a WMA archery quota hunt in TN on President's Island. That application is done through the TVA. The quality of the deer there is phenomenal.

Back
Top Bottom