• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rearview mirror falling off!

I had that problem with a Jeep. I tried 3 different mirror kits.

The rearview mirror on my wife's 2008 Ford Escape fell off last week. I have tried the Permatex adhesive kit they sell, and it lasted about 2 days and fell off again. I followed all the instructions and put it on again, and it lasted around 2 days. A Ford mechanic tells me they see the same problem with Ford's coming into their shop for service. (He said to buy a new windshield - I don't think so!!!) I'm thinking about trying the Loctite adhesive kit they sell for rearview mirrors. Maybe buy a new tab (bracket) that the mirror slides onto and try that? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The guy at the NAPA store told me to use clear silicone. I did and it worked.

Clean both surfaces to be mated.
Apply silicone.
tape mirror button in place.
Wait at least 24 hours.
Install rear view mirror.

I had that problem with a Jeep. I tried 3 different mirror kits.

Wow, never thought of silicone. Worth a try for sure. thanks

The guy at the NAPA store told me to use clear silicone. I did and it worked.

Clean both surfaces to be mated.
Apply silicone.
tape mirror button in place.
Wait at least 24 hours.
Install rear view mirror.

Get a auto glass guy to do it. Those consumer kits do not work well.
Thanks. I did talk to a lady at Scotts Glass in Conyers. She said for me to buy a new tab, and she would put it on with whatever adhesive they use. I think she quoted price of $10.00 for their labor. I think I can get the tabs on Amazon instead of Ford. May be worth a trip to Conyers.

NAPA should have the bracket, most are 'universal'.
Great. I'm going to try using the old one with clear silicone first. If that does not work I'll get a new one from NAPA. I have it taped on now and will let it sit for at least 24 hours before I put the mirror back on. I'm not sure what would be wrong with the old one, but the lady at the glass company for some reason wanted me to get a new one.

I had to re-glue mine (2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac) a couple of months ago. Used the Permatex kit from Advance Auto. Employee in the store said use 2 part epoxy instead, but I used the Permatex anyway because I had read a lot of reviews and believed careful prep was the key.

Prepped carefully. Cleaned and scuffed the mount pad and the windshield. Used the prep applicator, then applied the glue to the pad and installed as directed. Allowed to set for 24 hours.

Mirror has been up since then, no problems. It's solidly mounted.

The rearview mirror on my wife's 2008 Ford Escape fell off last week. I have tried the Permatex adhesive kit they sell, and it lasted about 2 days and fell off again. I followed all the instructions and put it on again, and it lasted around 2 days. A Ford mechanic tells me they see the same problem with Ford's coming into their shop for service. (He said to buy a new windshield - I don't think so!!!) I'm thinking about trying the Loctite adhesive kit they sell for rearview mirrors. Maybe buy a new tab (bracket) that the mirror slides onto and try that? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just shoot a sheetrock screw through it, that'll hold it!! Hahahaha. How ya been neighbor?

Just shoot a sheetrock screw through it, that'll hold it!! Hahahaha. How ya been neighbor?
Been doing fine, and flying under the radar lately. Boss lady fell and broke her right wrist a few weeks ago, so we been running back and forth to doctors. She had to have a plate put in it, and she is in a splint and is on therapy for several weeks. Athens Orthopedic Clinic did an excellent job on the surgery, and I highly recommend their Orthopedic surgeons. Also, gun money account at an all time low.:(

Back
Top Bottom