Rebarreling Question

flyingfrog509

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
Nothing special here
161   1
Reaction score
Trying to decide between project guns (first time out for me)

I have most everything I need to put together a REM700 long range / tacticool rifle except for a heavy / bull barrel to make it all come together. BUT from what I read...rebarreling a remington isn't a good idea even if I had all the machine equipment.

OR

I also have a savage 110 I could play with. Is it really possible to get a precut barrel and put it into a savage for a mechanically inclined person and get good accuracy out of it? (or is it really best to leave it to a smith)

Either way I'm wondering from some that have done rebarrels reciently on REM700 & Savages
1) what the real costs are involved
2) what are the "best" most cost effective barrels wo/sacraficing accuracy (I'm not going to be competeing but I'll be disappointed with greater than 1/2" groups at 100 yards off a rest)
3) are there any smiths north of Atlanta that can come recommended? I'm in Calhoun, closer is better but I'll drive for good work that isn't over priced if there is such a thing.

OR

Should I just wait and buy one already done or a factory gun already done?

I rebarreled my Remington 700 from .270 standard black barrel to a .25-06 bull barrel. I have never heard of rebarreling a Remington is a bad idea.
The barrel is a Hart barrel, cost $500.00. Gunsmith cost another $600.00, but that was with action work and a trigger job.
I couldn't find anyone to do the gunsmithing in the Atlanta area, most smiths didn't have the machinery to do the rebarrel.
I ended up using Carolina Precision Rifle and I don't regret it at all.
I would post pics but I'm on the iPad at the moment.
Just click on my name above to view pics of the barrel.

Savages are easy as pie to re barrel, bed,adjust triggers etc. And loads of aftermarket available. Heck you can even switch barrels at the range after you break loose the barrel nut the first time. The factory gorilla at Savage has been known to get em tight.

For Ease of Modification the Savage is the way to go. Barrel swaps are easy, unlike the Rem 700. Of course the decision is really based on what you consider long range. The Savage will do you for 600 yards with a little tweaking.
The Remington 700 is a great action, and can be fine tuned to the Nth degree but it requires a lot of equipment, machinery, and specialized knowledge to completely go through, Blueprint, machine, etc to make it a 1000yd + Rifle.

So it seems that sanity would dictate to go with the savage at first a)so I can play b)because 600 is plenty for now c)lower costs. Then once I get to where I'm ready to step up the game past 600 figure out what makes sense.

I look at long range as anything over 600, 350-599 medium long range, 250-349 medium range, 249 and under...just shooting. Right now I'm just shooting with a few medium range shots (since I have no range that long) but want to get up to that 500-600 yard shooting with confidence. Not so much to shoot animals that far away, but have the confidence to take the shot if I want to and learn how to work with the wind and all the slightly more advanced shooting skills.

Thanks guys.

I just got back my Remington 700 from ER Shaw, I had it chambered in 338-06 Ackley Improved and love it. Cost of everything I did on a stainless gun was $400. That includes the price of the barrel. They can make just about whatever you want.

Like others have said it cost more to build off a 700 action because of tooling ect. I would spend the extra money build off a 700 and be done with it myself but like others said Savage is cheaper and still a good action. Either way if your wanting true accuracy I would build off either frame instead of buying a factory gun.

I just had a 257 weatherby built off what was a 7 mag Rem 700 action. It has a Shilen SS barrel, Bell and Carlson stock that has been bedded and of course trigger job. It shoots a ragged one hole 3 shot group at 100 with 125 gr factory ammo (I couldn't believe it either ). I am still fine tuning a hand load for it but I got it shooting sub 0.250 with hand loaded 100 gr Barnes triple shock and 72 gr of RL 22 . Goforth gun smithing out of Casar NC done all my work and I highly recomend him.

Had two Remingtons and one Weatherby worked over and rebarreled by Carolina Precision Rifles. Never heard anything about not rebarreling Remingtons.

Back
Top Bottom