• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reblued 17-2, ammo doesnt fit in chambers

Triathloncoach

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
201   0
Reaction score
I have a S&W 17-2 that was hot blued. I took it to the range yesterday and a few of the chambers had too much blue and the bullets would not fit fully flushed. The cylinder would not rotate without forcing in the ammo.

What should I use to remove the extra blue from the chamber with scratching them up too much?

Thanks
Frank

Bluing should not add any thickness to the surface of the metal. Bluing jet turns the metal Blue. Was it blued or coated with something? Also, are you using factory ammo or reloaded. I have problems with lead cast loads in some of my revolvers but never any issues with factory ammo.

Sounds like whoever did it did not properly rinse and scrub down the openings for the cylinder.

Heat bluing salts to 295*-305*f, stir the mixture with a steel ladel to insure heat is continuous throughout solution. Suspend piece(s) completely submerged in tank for 20 minutes. Remove and place in a pan of water. Using 4X steel wool and dawn detergent, scrub piece completely, examine and if it isn't perfect, rinse and place back in solution for another 20 minutes and clean again with steel wool. After scrubing and the peice is satisfactory, spray with a heavy coat of WD-40, set aside and finish other parts. When finished, for best results, boil all parts in clean water with 1/2 cup baking soda per gallon of water (I know both baking soda and sodium hydroxide are bases, but it works) and while rinsing, use a toothbrush in any openings. Dry and spray/wipe down with a quality lube, . Re-assemble your weapon.

Without the scrubbing, the salt solution can build up.

I would brush out the openings with a round metal brush of the right size and re blue the cylinder.

You could try a 22 caliber cleaning brush in a variable speed drill. Just get the brush in the hole before pulling the trigger--go slow, don't let the brush come all the way through--protect your new blue finish.

I WOUL
My 17 is tight with some brands of ammo. I have to push in the round to get it to seat correctly. It is worse when it is dirty, when clean sometimes still occurs but can easily be pushed in with a fingertip.
D BE HAPPY TO TAKE IT OFF YOUR HANDS.LOL I JUST GOT ONE FROM 1958 WHAT A JOY

No such thing as too much blue. Can be some crud after bluing but the blue itself does not build up tolerances. Plating does, crud does, paint does.....bluing don't. Clean it.

Buy better ammo too....match grade, the stuff you see from ely, etc for $15 a box or so.

Remember. The 17 is a full size revolver, chambered TIGHT (match tolerances) and represents the BEST Smith has/had to offer.

In any firearm with tight chambers and tolerances, regular ammo will often be tight/not chamber, and in the case of the 17, dirty it up to where it binds. It ain't no Ruger LCR, Taurus 85 nor an Armscor 38 Special. Its a Smith Target Revolver.

Back
Top Bottom