• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recoil spring weights w/optics

jpm2953

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
403   0
Reaction score
how has adding an optic changed your choice of recoil springs?
Specially with doing something like doubles drills. Has the increased weight of the optic made you change weight of springs?

I’ve got the stock recoil spring in my g17 w/ a vortex venom.

If shooting CO in USPSA or Steel, you owe it to yourself to give a 13lb recoil spring a try. You’d want to run a 4.5 Firing Pin Spring if going lite on RSA, for safety purposes. A lighter spring is a game changer, because Glocks are sprung for +P+ deathloads. Slide tracks so much flatter with a 13# ISMI. I recently shot a friend’s 34 with an 11# and it was all the more pleasant to shoot. Very easy to track sight,

If shooting CO in USPSA or Steel, you owe it to yourself to give a 13lb recoil spring a try. You’d want to run a 4.5 Firing Pin Spring if going lite on RSA, for safety purposes. A lighter spring is a game changer, because Glocks are sprung for +P+ deathloads. Slide tracks so much flatter with a 13# ISMI. I recently shot a friend’s 34 with an 11# and it was all the more pleasant to shoot. Very easy to track sight,
I agree with the recoil spring change for a Glock... but you should be doing that with/without an optic.

I run an 11# myself with 130 PF loads.

Glockadopoulos Glockadopoulos Dirty J Dirty J

I’ll order some springs today, and give it a try.

To be clear, you really really want to go with a softer firing pin spring at the same time. In most guns, a Wolff 5.0 will work with a 13 pound RSA. Going down to 11 pound you’d want 4.5 FPS (or even lighter, but 4.0 may run into lite strikes on some primers)

The reason for this: Firing Pin (striker) spring is always in tension against the Recoil Spring when gun is in battery. Heavy factory 5.5 firing pin spring and a light weight recoil spring can cause your gun not to reliably go back into battery under some circumstances. In some cases it can even pull the slide out of battery as you pull the trigger. This could cause an out of battery detonation; potentially unsafe.

How much you can get away with is somewhat gun dependent (varying tolerances and wear). The most obvious thing to check is your slide during trigger pull. If it’s unlokckng at the end of the pull.. danger Willl Robinson. The other test that will keep you on the safe side can be seen in this screaming video

Don’t buy the firing pin/ striker springs individually.. major rip off. Get them straight from Wolff for $15 per 10. 4.5 is a happy medium for good trigger pull vs reliability (and you’ll still want to keep your gun clean and avoid primers made by Borat). 5.0 is reliable enough to take to hell and back, still drops around a half pound of trigger pull, and is safe with 13# recoil spring in many guns. If you’re a wildman who wants to be married to a Jager or IDP striker and Federal Primers, go for a 4.0.
https://www.gunsprings.com/GLOCK ®/cID1/mID5/dID116#131

Back
Top Bottom