• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Recommend a economical cheek rest/riser.....

Mark IV

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
90   0
Reaction score
I just traded into a cool little rifle that I think would benefit from a cheek riser, and am looking at several inexpensive options. It doesn't have to survive 3 tours in Vietnam, just be functional and hold up for occasional range use. I'm looking for something as cheap as possible, but don't want to waste money on some ill-fitting, disintegrating junk, so I figured I'd ask around.
Among others, I'm looking at stuff from Fox and Voodoo tactical, like this......
https://www.amazon.com/VooDoo-Tacti..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=BJYDX2P8HB5A8QAK88T4
https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Outdoor-...69858&sr=1-5&keywords=fox+tactical+cheek+rest

Any good info is much appreciated....

I just had a scope put on a 8mm Mauser. The stock had been cut down. I put a slip on recoil pad on it. Then it needed a check pad.
I put a slip on ammo holder. Under that I put a piece of pipe insulation. Worked great. I only needed one piece but figured if in need more I could put another over it. The ammo holder kept it in place.

Foam & duct tape is the cheapest option.
In some sort of SHTF situtation, then yeah, I'd go quick, cheap and functional in a heartbeat, but right now, I have this nice new toy, and don't want it to look like something hauled around by a bunch of chimps riding in the back of a pickup truck through the streets of Mogadishu !!! :becky:

Mine is not new or pretty. I put this on to figure out how high I wanted it. I was looking at factory check risers but did not want to put one on to high or low.
After I put it on it shoots very good. And because it is what it is I’ll leave it.

Attachments

• 95C46D64-24BC-45B3-B93E-56B91C76A323.jpeg
    95C46D64-24BC-45B3-B93E-56B91C76A323.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 19
Different thickness slices of a large pool noodle (or similar foam) sculptured to curvature of the stock, wrapped tightly with Vet Horse Wrap. Gives a semi-permanent, non-ghetto, and comfortable to the cheek setup. Wrap is available in different colors, I used black to match my stock. https://www.amazon.com/Prairie-Hors...F8&qid=1543519069&sr=8-13&keywords=horse+wrap

Thanks, I got a similar recommendation on another forum, this looks interesting, and less likely to be an ill-fitting disappointment like so many of the other budget units may be (going by the reviews). I believe I have a roll or two of this tape, in the old US Army ACU pattern, (given to me by my brother, several years ago, then tossed in a parts drawer. I never actually knew what the stuff even was, till seeing it recommended for this application !).
As for padding, I'm thinking something more dense and on the thinner side, like an old computer mouse pad. After doing some sighting in with this rifle yesterday, I'm not in need of all the padding/rise that I thought I was, even with the high, see-thru rings it has on it.
I may be able to scrounge up an old mouse pad, and throw something together today!
Anyway, thanks to all for chiming in (even those that aren't quite familiar with terms like "economical" and "inexpensive" !:becky: ).

Back
Top Bottom