• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommendation for black dress watch

Both of these look good. But the Orient gets the look you want about half the price of the Seiko.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221009-153116.png
    Screenshot_20221009-153116.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20221009-153003.png
    Screenshot_20221009-153003.png
    268.1 KB · Views: 16
Not a fan of the gold trim. The Orient looks nice. Why is it only $100? Do I really get a nicer watch for $500?
Orient is owned by Seiko but they have their own in house movements. For the money Orient is one of the best brands going as far as Japanese automatic watches. Meanwhile Seiko has kinda lost their minds as far as MSRP in recent years. I would love a King Turtle, a Captain Willard reissue or a Samurai. But once a Japanese brand goes over the $500.00 mark then you might as well go Swiss with Tissot or Hamilton.

Not a fan of the gold trim. The Orient looks nice. Why is it only $100? Do I really get a nicer watch for $500?
Orient is actually owned by Seiko's parent company and they make great value automatics. I think the main difference between the bambino and the presage I linked is that the Presages all have a sapphire crystal glass, which is going to be clearer and more scratch resistant. The finish on the seiko is going to be nicer and crisper, and the movement is probably a better one.

How much of this matters is up to you, I'd go check one of em out in person (even if a slightly different model) if you can before you buy the actual one you want to get an idea of the fit/finish. I kinda feel if I just had one watch and I was gonna be relatively careful with it (i.e. take it off when working on my car) I'd get a seiko, but if I was just wearing it and didnt want to worry about scratching something up I'd get the orient, or maybe two

I have heard of some people replacing the glass on Orient's with a sapphire crystal but im not sure its something you do to save money, but just when you want to replace the glass because of scratches.

Orient is actually owned by Seiko's parent company and they make great value automatics. I think the main difference between the bambino and the presage I linked is that the Presages all have a sapphire crystal glass, which is going to be clearer and more scratch resistant. The finish on the seiko is going to be nicer and crisper, and the movement is probably a better one.

How much of this matters is up to you, I'd go check one of em out in person (even if a slightly different model) if you can before you buy the actual one you want to get an idea of the fit/finish. I kinda feel if I just had one watch and I was gonna be relatively careful with it (i.e. take it off when working on my car) I'd get a seiko, but if I was just wearing it and didnt want to worry about scratching something up I'd get the orient, or maybe two

I have heard of some people replacing the glass on Orient's with a sapphire crystal but im not sure its something you do to save money, but just when you want to replace the glass because of scratches.
I like my Seiko 5 good enough. It looks like an SKX but doesn't have the water resistance. I wanted the SKX look with the 4:00 crown position but I didn't want to pay a premium for a used watch since the SKX has been discontinued for quite a while now. But I find myself wearing my Citizen Eco Drive diver a lot more. That solar powered set it and forget it movement is hard to beat.
As I commented earlier I love Seiko and there's a few more I intend to pick up but none of them are over about $350.00.

Back
Top Bottom