• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommendation for black dress watch

The choice is obvious

Timex has some recent models that are better quality than we have been used to seeing from them in previous years. Since the OP mentioned a dress watch they have a nice looking automatic called the Marlin. But I think it retails for more than the Orient. There is also a 70s retro line that includes another Marlin in a cushion style case. A little on the plain side but I like it. Then there is the Q model which is my favorite especially this green dial model.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221009-174212.png
    Screenshot_20221009-174212.png
    465.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20221009-174237.png
    Screenshot_20221009-174237.png
    246.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20221009-174322.png
    Screenshot_20221009-174322.png
    262.2 KB · Views: 6
I like my Seiko 5 good enough. It looks like an SKX but doesn't have the water resistance. I wanted the SKX look with the 4:00 crown position but I didn't want to pay a premium for a used watch since the SKX has been discontinued for quite a while now. But I find myself wearing my Citizen Eco Drive diver a lot more. That solar powered set it and forget it movement is hard to beat.
As I commented earlier I love Seiko and there's a few more I intend to pick up but none of them are over about $350.00.
I understand a price point cutoff for a Japanese watch (I still love Grand seikos) , but I think there's also one for a Swiss watch. There's a lot of brands selling low end Swiss automatics that aren't appreciating, and cost more to service than they are worth. You wouldn't pay more than 500 for a Japanese watch, and that's a valid opinion, I wouldn't spend less than 5k on a Swiss watch. It has to be worth paying 500 to service every ten years, and rare enough that it's going to at least hold value. I have a few vintage Swiss watches and there is a cost to owning them and maintaining their value. Owning a 1k Swiss watch is stupid when you take maintenance costs into account. A 500$ watch that needs a 400$ service... Just buy a new 500$ watch. Pay 2k for a low end Swiss watch and you'll feel obligated to pay for those services even though you're losing money every time.

I'd Argue a limited edition Seiko is more likely to hold out gain value over some bad produced bottom tier Swiss watch like a breitling or tissot

Timex has some recent models that are better quality than we have been used to seeing from them in previous years. Since the OP mentioned a dress watch they have a nice looking automatic called the Marlin. But I think it retails for more than the Orient. There is also a 70s retro line that includes another Marlin in a cushion style case. A little on the plain side but I like it. Then there is the Q model which is my favorite especially this green dial model.

Looking for one in all black though. Price isn't important. Apparently I set the bar pretty high at $500

I understand a price point cutoff for a Japanese watch (I still love Grand seikos) , but I think there's also one for a Swiss watch. There's a lot of brands selling low end Swiss automatics that aren't appreciating, and cost more to service than they are worth. You wouldn't pay more than 500 for a Japanese watch, and that's a valid opinion, I wouldn't spend less than 5k on a Swiss watch. It has to be worth paying 500 to service every ten years, and rare enough that it's going to at least hold value. I have a few vintage Swiss watches and there is a cost to owning them and maintaining their value. Owning a 1k Swiss watch is stupid when you take maintenance costs into account. A 500$ watch that needs a 400$ service... Just buy a new 500$ watch. Pay 2k for a low end Swiss watch and you'll feel obligated to pay for those services even though you're losing money every time.

I'd Argue a limited edition Seiko is more likely to hold out gain value over some bad produced bottom tier Swiss watch like a breitling or tissot
Grand Seiko ( I would say ) is as good as most any Swiss brand. But it's kinda like the Lexus versus Mercedes debate. Some people just gotta have that German hood ornament even though the Lexus represents more long term value.
So by your comment I'm assuming you wouldn't give Tissot or Oris a second look. I like both especially Oris. But if what you say is true about the cost of maintenance then that WOULD BE a possible deal breaker.

My 35 year old black Sports 100 showing some case wear but keeps near perfect time between battery changes every 2 years or so. I can't wear it now cause I lost the band links I removed years ago when I was not as fat.

Attachments

• 20221009_190008.jpg
    20221009_190008.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 3
I'm looking for another decent watch that I can wear with my nice business casual work clothes. I already have a stainless Bulova and a Hamilton Khaki. I'd like one in all black, mechanical movement, around $4-500. I'm new to the watch world but these two caught my eye.

Sternglas Naos Automatik. Love the design but unsure of the brand. Seems to be a relatively new company.

View attachment 4822546

I also like the Tissot Swismatic. The Sternglas is a little better looking but Tissot is a much more established brand. And they are a huge sponsor of MotoGP racing which is cool.

View attachment 4822552

Any others I should look at? I'd like to see one totally blacked out without a silver case but I haven't found one.

I have that Tissot I think, worn once or twice and now stored doing nothing if you're interested. A safe queen of you will.

Back
Top Bottom