• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommendations for Medium Duty Chain Saw?

Sowega86

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
Exiled to Southwest Georgia
9   0
Reaction score
The ODT is one of the best places to find out what works and what doesn't. Looking to buy a decent chainsaw $300 +/- budget with 16 or 18 inch bar to help in the disaster relief here in Albany. What are the merits of the Stihl saws that have the windup chain tensioner? Any brands to focus on or stay away? Thanks.

If that's all you're using it for, I'd get a used Stihl because it will hold it's value in case you decide to sell it. I have a Stihl Farm Boss and an older O18C with a 14" blade that is a hoss. It has the thumb wheel chain tension, which is what I assume you are talking about it, and it's easy to use and sturdy.

Any local dealer should have good used chain saws. I'd avoid big box chainsaws, unless you're sure this is just a one time use.

In our tree care business we run husqvarna 445's. we run them every day, all day and we get a good amount of life out of them. Plus they're not as heavy as the 455 and can cut just as good. Comes with an 18in bar and chain.

Husky hands down.
445 with an 18" bar is my favorite for typical farm use or firewood.
20170123_180819.jpg

STIHL has the best customer service/parts with dealers all over.
Never broke any of the 3 hushys ive had, so I dont know anything about husky CS or parts prices.
Stihl is a good saw but power to weight ratio the husky is the stronger and lighter saw of the two in my opinion.

Never broke any of the 3 hushys ive had, so I dont know anything about husky CS or parts prices.
Stihl is a good saw but power to weight ratio the husky is the stronger and lighter saw of the two in my opinion.
I have used em for tree service and timber walls for 30 yrs and just keep going with stihl. Husky or stihl would be a good choice ,they are both good saws.

Stihl has better support than Husky. Both are basically equal when compared apples to apples.
In a former life I spent 20+/- years in that industry, sold and serviced both.

Side tension is nice, no tools needed. A plain side cover is much cheaper to replace and no parts to break.

Back
Top Bottom