• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

redacted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to be mean but it sounds like that kid just played with fire and got burned. Too bad about the 1911 getting melted down, there is the real innocent victim.

Not trying to be mean but it sounds like that kid just played with fire and got burned. Too bad about the 1911 getting melted down, there is the real innocent victim.

I dont buy that whole "melted down" thing. I bet they sell them to places like summit gun broker. That guy gets all kinds of lick hitters everyday.

Wow I dont remember hearing about that and Im in Kennesaw almost every day. I think she may actually be a zombie if she is still here after 7 7.62 rounds!

And damn soviet thats another double post. Youve been post whoring all day! lol

Since not many people have answered the specific question let me take a shot at it (pun intended).

First off, I don't know any Law Enforcement Agency that would turn over a handgun to a minor, period. Specially with the minor in question being involved in the negligent discharge of said firearm. Possibly the mother could get the gun/s turned over to her - if she wanted them, but it does not seem like it from your post.

On a side note WWII or Korean War "bring back" 1911's are in big demand by collectors. And a conservative estimate on value would be in the $500 - $800 range. Depending on condition, date produced, and manufacturer. Maybe that will get Mom to change her mind, if for no other reason than to sell the guns to a gun shop and not loose the entire asset.

The other thing to worry about is the fact that someone could be charged with a crime. Not that any LE agency or officer would say something like, "If you keep pursuing this issue (of returning the guns) we will forward criminal charges to the Prosecuting Attorney". But hey, stuff happens.

I'd say all in all that someone interested in getting the guns back such as your friend, who claims ownership, really needs to talk to a lawyer. I think it would be worth the $100, or whatever a lawyer charges now for an initial consultation fee.

Personally I am thankful that no one got killed or seriously hurt. And looking at the pictures I do believe that could be a .45 ACP wound to the neck. The better part of discretion here may be to call it a wash and forget about getting the guns back. Certainly if the guns are returned your buddy needs to take a basic firearms safety class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom