• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reforming Brass for another caliber

woodstock

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
INCARCERATED. DO NOT FEED
77   0
Reaction score
Just started reforming 30 06 brass into 8mm mauser because 8mm is most often berdan primed and what isn't is $$.

Found some once fired 30 06 at the last show I was at, about .47 per case all of it RP.
Decided to anneal it with a torch as the case has to shrink slightly and the shoulder moves down from the 30 06 location.

Lots of lube on this and gently pulling the handle results in a case with an elongated neck that has started to shrink to 8x57 dimensions.

Then I cut the excess length on the case to max length and resize it so the neck and shoulder are good and then recheck dimensions.

Last edited:
It's a common practice for me. I've recently loaded 7X57 using .257 Bob brass. I never thought I'd be doing that!

7-08 to .308, 30-06 to 25-06, etc. Brass is incredibly malleable and forgiving.

I set myself up a series of rifles based on the.308 cartridge. With the 308 parent being commonly available, I now reload 308,243,7mm-08, 260,338 Fed. Works great and on the cheap.

I reform 223 to .300 aac as well. Also have formed some .243 into .308 for my light plinkers. Dont get too many firings out of em before you get a neck split but what else does one do with .243 brass? lol

Almost everything I shoot in my contenders is reformed from something.

One thing that I have done is buy a mini-chop saw from Harbor Freight. Then I drill a hole in a block of oak to the depth of the final case length +0.020". Just drop the case in the block, chop it off and then do another. Then trim to final size.

Back
Top Bottom