Regular cab trucks soon to be extinct?

Hasselhoss

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
168   0
Reaction score
In 2017 fuel economy requirements for new vehicles will be based on the vehicle's "footprint". This footprint is to be measured by the total area in square feet between the 4 wheels.

Using their formula a Toyota Tacoma regular can will be required to get over 32mpg while the same truck with a crew can only 25mpg.

The standard is a moving target as well. The same regular cab truck will need to get 45mpg by 2025.

Will this be the end of the regular can pickup truck?

They will find a way to circumvent the rules, they always do. They use a fleet mpg exemption, so in Toyota's case they'll use credits earned from other vehicles like the Prius.

Here's a thought if the Tacoma hadn't become such a bloated pig, and was built closer to its origins 32mpg probably wouldnt be a problem.
Just a thought, an Accord from the late 80's early 90's get the same mileage if not better than a new one.

Hell, if it can be done, why not? I'm not crazy about gov regulations but if the tech is out there to make it possible I'm all for it. Less money to the Arab kingdoms forever plotting against our demise is enough justification for me. The eco thing is just a bonus.

I didnt know anyone still
Made a reg cab

The new cage regs will be the end of everything larger than a Prius.
Although Toyota will not have to worry. They sell plenty of small cars. In a few years the tundra will be the only pickup with a real V-8

Not a problem for me
I have never and will
Never buy a brand new vehicle. The old ones are fine with me

We own four vehicles A 74 a 95 a 01 and a 04.
Got a screaming deal on the two newest ones at an auction. The 04 was $48K new. We paid $6500 last year for it

I was looking for a late 80s K-5 Blazer couldn't pass up the deal on the 04 expedition

The new vehicles are far more complicated than they need to be
Too expensive and time consuming to repair

I guess it will depend on how far the regular cab drags down the Mean.

Honestly, I don't know why nobody makes a light truck with a car's gearing and chassis anymore. Some people just need a truck to haul yard supplies or a lawnmower or some trash from time to time.

I guess they should spread the wheels out farther then?

I wonder what happens if you apply the wheel-base logic to something like the Smart car?

Even the most uneducated knows that technology exist or should I say existed:spy: to get upwards of 100 MPG. The real kick in the rear will be the footprint tax itself.

Yes it has existed for quite some time. Follow the oil money and you will see why it is not used.

For example: Dodge ram had a recall on one of its trucks. It was listed as a safety recall. No, it was not a safety recall. It was to reduce the MPG because it was too high.

Even the most uneducated knows that technology exist or should I say existed:spy: to get upwards of 100 MPG. The real kick in the rear will be the footprint tax itself.

Urban legend.

Any vehicle that could get 100 mpg would be unsafe to drive. If a car company could get that kind of mileage out of a car that could pass safety tests, believe me, they would build it. They wouldn't be able to manufacture them fast enough to meet demand.

As for regular cab trucks, theres not near the demand for them anymore. Demand for manual trannies in trucks is also very low.

Back
Top Bottom