Regular cab trucks soon to be extinct?

But your pup couldn't tow it's own weight. Today's gas powered full sized trucks can tow 10,000+ pounds.

I know it lacks power but it is 30 years old with today's technology I'm sure we could get much greater gas mileage without sacrificing power look at the Isuzu NPR box truck it's a 6 cylinder diesel that can handle 20000 pounds and still gets better gas mileage than my full size Chevy 2500

But your pup couldn't tow it's own weight. Today's gas powered full sized trucks can tow 10,000+ pounds.

another funny thing is I'd have to say that 90 percent of truck owners will never even hook anything to there hitch other than maybe a bike rack let alone a 10000 pound trailer

another funny thing is I'd have to say that 90 percent of truck owners will never even hook anything to there hitch other than maybe a bike rack let alone a 10000 pound trailer

Thats irrelevant to the mileage discussion. I don't tow with mine 100% of the time, but I know its ready when I do.

You cant compare diesel and autos. Diesel technology is far behind gasoline. Emissions on any combustion engine will reduce the MPG. Catalytic converters were mandatory on any gasoline engine from 1978 and on, not till 2009 were they mandatory on diesel engines. And that's just a basic emissions control. Same with vented fuel caps, I don't know the date but they have been removed from gasoline tanks for many of years. Only in the past three years have vented fuel caps been removed from diesel tanks.

I was just trying to make the point that not every truck owner needs a 6 liter gas guzzling v8 and that we should be given more options here in the US in Europe and Middle East you rarely see a gas engine in any truck they're mostly diesel they get better mileage and engine life is greatly increased

but I honestly think it has less to do with the emissions and more to do with lobbyists and politics but that is a discussion for another time

Last edited:
In 2017 fuel economy requirements for new vehicles will be based on the vehicle's "footprint". This footprint is to be measured by the total area in square feet between the 4 wheels.

Using their formula a Toyota Tacoma regular can will be required to get over 32mpg while the same truck with a crew can only 25mpg.

The standard is a moving target as well. The same regular cab truck will need to get 45mpg by 2025.

Will this be the end of the regular can pickup truck?

I hope not. I have no use for a regular cab but there are too many drivers out there who don't need anything bigger than a standard cab yotta

but I honestly think it has less to do with the mission's and more to do with lobbyists and politics but that is a discussion for another time

Its a little bit of both. When you choke up an engine with restricting emissions controls it cant breath and be as efficient as it could be. Politics and lobbyists are helping keep the MPG capabilities back because they have a financial interest in oil, weather it be domestic or foreign.

Its a little bit of both. When you choke up an engine with restricting emissions controls it cant breath and be as efficient as it could be. Politics and lobbyists are helping keep the MPG capabilities back because they have a financial interest in oil, weather it be domestic or foreign.
I couldn't agree with you more on that sir

Back
Top Bottom