Reload 9mm Could use some advice

Thank you Gentlemen for taking the time to help a first timer How do you find the load data for shot gun powders that double

Thank you Gentlemen for taking the time to help a first timer How do you find the load data for shot gun powders that double

Most of them can be found in the Lee manual. You can also usually get good data from the powder manufacturer's website. Hodgdon/IMR website has a decent amount of data, though you might not find your exact recipie.

For example - Longshot is a shotgun powder that will work decently for pistol loads. Hodgdon has some loads on their site. However, it is not ideal, and not nearly as good as Titegroup or Accurate #2 (or #5)

Went through my reloading log book and found I've loaded the following powders with 9mm:

Clays, Red Dot, Accurate Arms #2, 700X, Power Pistol, Unique, HP38, HS6. My favorite is 700x with a 125 grain LRN wheel weight bullet sized at .358".

Most pistol and shotgun powders will work, and you can find recommended loads for 9mm on the powder manufacturer web sites.

The faster powders Win 231 (same as HP38), AA#2 work fine. The pressure spike is faster and they are powders I use for economical plinking/target type loads. I use AA#5 for suppressed subsonic loads now when using 147 grain bullets as it stress the brass less.

AA#7 is the recommended AA powder for maximum performance loadings when pushing power limits.

Here is a burn rate chart, faster powders are economical but have higher pressures for similar velocity than for slower acceptable powders. For faster burn rates, the power spike, the pulse is more quickly achieved and place more stress on components and firearms. Faster powders are economical but may allow a double charge of powder to be missed. Double charges are a bet to grenade your gun.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Optimal OAL may vary from gun to gun. If you have issues with function with factory ammo take notes on their OAL and bullet type, then avoid them. Find factory ammo your gun likes and duplicate the OAL for similar bullet style. Maximum length is restricted to what will fit in the magazine and function. Minimum length is restricted to not compressing the charge, unless the loading reference specifically states the load is a compressed charge. Compressing powder can dramatically increase pressures, so avoid this.

For 124-125 grain 9mm loads, I find myself settling on an OAL (9mm) around 1.12"-1.13" with a range of 1.07" to 1.15". But as mentioned your powder is the limiting issue on this minimum OAL. Check your reloading manual as they often give a limit but it's more of a guide and I have observed these change with each update and vary from reference used. Bottom line, don't compress the non-compressible loadings!

This thread "Reloading 9mm Pearls" has some useful information for those loading this caliber: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/315678-Reloading-9mm-Pearls?highlight=reloading+9mm

Last edited:
Yes within reason. The case capacity often is the restriction to avoid powder compression. AA#7 is the slowest burning AA powder recommended for 9mm.

Most 9mm barrels are in that 4-5" range. The issue may arise when working loads up in an extremely short barrel as more powder only creates more flash and no significant velocity gains.

Last edited:
This Hodgdon site has some useful guidance as well. Their slowest powder they recommend (theirs) is HS6http://www.hodgdon.com/

Their CFE pistol seems to be the "barn burner" for 125 grain pill at 1,156 FPS out of a 4" barrel. Most references will publish the barrel length used.

AA 3.5 data list their 124 grain barn burner AA#7 at 1,140 FPS. However older (hotter) AA 2.1 data list 1,166 FPS as their top 124/125 grain loading using AA#7. Their loadings were using a 4" barrel.

Finding powder will be your biggest hurdle. The other posts gave you some good suggestions but try to find one that you can get more than one lb. You will work up a load and then you can't find any more of it. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom