• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reload Data for 9mm subs?

I currently use AA #5 with a 125 grain cast bullet. Pretty much any 147 grain loading but I avoid a fast powder like #2 that I found stress the brass visibly (prominent case head markings). Stick with a similar speed-burn rate powder and keep the velocity under 1K fps and it should work fine.

One issue you may run into more so with 124 grain bullets is function issues with too slow of bullet velocity. It may run fine suppressed but tend to not function well without the muffler (no back pressure). It's been more of an issue with specific pistols, such as polymer frame Glocks.

Anything between AA#5 and AA#7 I would think work fine for you. http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

I use something like this, I think I settled out on 5.7 grns. I can recommend you dont use blue dot though, Its very messy.

best bet is to use Hodgsons data http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
147gr HP or TRN bullet using Blue Dot powder, OAL at 1.169", WSP primers.
TRN bullet
Start 5.0grs Blue Dot =757'ps pressure 21,300PSI
Max 6.1grs Blue Dot = 932'ps pressure 26,800PSI

HP bullet
5.0 grs Blue Dot = 740'ps pressure 20,700 PSI
6.1 grs Blue Dot = 960'ps pressure 28,000PSI

SAAMI accepted standard pressure 35,000PSI,
+P loads 38,500PSI

9mm Luger(start over with Pistols and Revolvers)
• 147 gr Speer GDHP

Recipes
Minimum OAL
(inches) Bbl Length Primer Powder Charge Weight
(grains) Velocity
(fps)
1.13 CCI 500 Unique 4.3 954
1.13 CCI 500 Power Pistol 5 975
1.13 CCI 500 Blue Dot 5.8 1,001

BULLET WEIGHT
130 GR. BERB RN
Starting Loads Maximum Loads
Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam.
C.O.L.
Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
Hodgdon HP-38 .356" 1.150" 3.9 903 27,600 PSI 4.3 1,005 33,100 PSI

Nice to see people posting specific load recommendations as this is most helpful in minimizing the time and cost of developing an acceptable load for the
application!

Whether you working up a new load for a plain vanilla firearm or the attachment of a suppressor, or the substitution of a conversion barrel in any firearm; this can and will change its operational characteristics, including chamber pressures of the loading. I have a suppressor "in jail" right now and am collecting information for loads to use when "the Stamp arrives". I also know that some loads perform better than others in specific applications / firearms. A specific example is with my Lone Wolf Conversion Barrels 40/9 (.40 S&W to 9mm) used in my G23 and G35 (two different barrels). Both LW Barrels are as accurate with 9's as the original OEM .40 S&W Barrels!!!

However, be aware that in the G22 / G35, you may need a lighter spring and / or use 9mm 124+ Grain projectiles if you experience FTF,
This may / may not happen with your firearm, but did with my G35. This is not a "barrel" problem: the slide on the G22 / G35 is heavy, and the
.40 S&W spring is heavy duty as well ... sometimes light weight / light load 9's just don't have sufficient recoil necessary to push the slide / barrel far enough back to feed well.
I changed out the spring (inexpensive) and the problem went away ... I love my conversion barrels as they give me maximum flexibility in my Glock Pistol Platform!
The G35 LW Barrel is threaded and will be among the first to host a suppressor (when it finally gets here!)

I imagine that strapping a suppressor onto any firearm can and will result in similar problems ... that's where safety precautions should always be part of the reloading mindset.

Reminder: Reloading of ammunition can lead to serious injury (including death), even if reasonable precautions are undertaken. This is because there are a number of variables that need to be taken into consideration, including the condition of the firearm using the ammunition.

Everyone is / should be aware that any load information is necessarily subject to the user doing their own evaluation as to its safe use in their own specific firearm, and that the person sharing the load data assumes no liability whatsoever for its use (or abuse) in any particular firearm / application. Always check any load data against published loading data: data published by the powder manufacturer and projectile manufacturer; any and all variance(s) from such data can result in a dangerous loading.

I state the above as it is obvious information and precautions to experience reloaders, and in the spirit of encouraging the responsible sharing of quality load data with others who will always have the common sense to use such data in a responsible manner!

Last edited:
Nice to see people posting specific load recommendations as this is most helpful in minimizing the time and cost of developing an acceptable load for the
application!

Whether you working up a new load for a plain vanilla firearm or the attachment of a suppressor, or the substitution of a conversion barrel in any firearm; this can and will change its operational characteristics, including chamber pressures of the loading. I have a suppressor "in jail" right now and am collecting information for loads to use when "the Stamp arrives". I also know that some loads perform better than others in specific applications / firearms. A specific example is with my Lone Wolf Conversion Barrels 40/9 (.40 S&W to 9mm) used in my G23 and G35 (two different barrels). Both LW Barrels are as accurate with 9's as the original OEM .40 S&W Barrels!!!

However, be aware that in the G22 / G35, you may need a lighter spring and / or use 9mm 124+ Grain projectiles if you experience FTF,
This may / may not happen with your firearm, but did with my G35. This is not a "barrel" problem: the slide on the G22 / G35 is heavy, and the
.40 S&W spring is heavy duty as well ... sometimes light weight / light load 9's just don't have sufficient recoil necessary to push the slide / barrel far enough back to feed well.
I changed out the spring (inexpensive) and the problem went away ... I love my conversion barrels as they give me maximum flexibility in my Glock Pistol Platform!
The G35 LW Barrel is threaded and will be among the first to host a suppressor (when it finally gets here!)

I imagine that strapping a suppressor onto any firearm can and will result in similar problems ... that's where safety precautions should always be part of the reloading mindset.

Reminder: Reloading of ammunition can lead to serious injury (including death), even if reasonable precautions are undertaken. This is because there are a number of variables that need to be taken into consideration, including the condition of the firearm using the ammunition.

Everyone is / should be aware that any load information is necessarily subject to the user doing their own evaluation as to its safe use in their own specific firearm, and that the person sharing the load data assumes no liability whatsoever for its use (or abuse) in any particular firearm / application. Always check any load data against published loading data: data published by the powder manufacturer and projectile manufacturer; any and all variance(s) from such data can result in a dangerous loading.

I state the above as it is obvious information and precautions to experience reloaders, and in the spirit of encouraging the responsible sharing of quality load data with others who will always have the common sense to use such data in a responsible manner!

Excellent information.

Back
Top Bottom