• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RELOADERS....Media Polish

inkdaddy

Coast Guard Icon Supporter
Graduate, ODT class of 2010!!
165   0
Reaction score
For you re loaders out there......found a great new media polish called MOTHERS Chrome Polish. You can find it in the Walmart Automotive section. 8 ounce bottle 5 bucks. It is a red bottle. Tried it tonight...and man I got the best polish and shine on my brass...it was awesome!!

Make sure it's safe for use on ammo brass. "Brasso" and other types of metal polish contain ammonia, and such that will weaken brass. That's what seperates media polish for ammo brass and regular metal polishes.

"Lizzard Litter and Franklin's" works for me

I read somewhere on another forum that they used tiny stainless steel rods with a solution of Dawn dishwashing soap to get a really good polishing / cleaning
on totally reusable media ... They claim that even primer pockets come out like new. Kinda expensive to start with though, and sounds wet and nasty! The little rods are simply rinsed between uses. Anybody here doing this?

"Lizzard Litter and Franklin's" works for me

I read somewhere on another forum that they used tiny stainless steel rods with a solution of Dawn dishwashing soap to get a really good polishing / cleaning
on totally reusable media ... They claim that even primer pockets come out like new. Kinda expensive to start with though, and sounds wet and nasty! The little rods are simply rinsed between uses. Anybody here doing this?
I've heard the Stainless steel media works good as well, It requires you to have a rotary tumbler though and not a vibratory tumbler, not hardly worth it to me just to have my brass shinier.

I've heard the Stainless steel media works good as well, It requires you to have a rotary tumbler though and not a vibratory tumbler, not hardly worth it to me just to have my brass shinier.

Habor Freight has inexpensive drum tumblers, but they are kinda small ...
I have seen commercial operations using small concrete mixers ... a little expensive
and cumbersome for us at home.

Further, the idea of having to rinse, then dry the stuff is a big turn-off as well.
Water spots and all (unless you use a rinse aid like those used in a automatic dishwasher)

Stainless steel media kicks mucho butt, but its an expensive start up ....

For walnut media I just throw in some Nu Finish car polish .... it helps keep the dust down as well.

have used a cap of Nufinish for years... no adverse affects and it works very well. also throw in a drier sheet to keep dust down. cheap and work well on your car too

Last edited:
I use treated corn cob media. I have spruced it up several times in the time I have had it with liquid Flitz. Works good. I also use an old plastic coffee can to "wet tumble" my brass too. I use about 1/4 cup lemon juice 1/3 cup Dawn and scalding hot water. Put the brass in the mix and then fill almost to the top with the scalding hot water. Shake/rest, shake/rest etc. You have to "burp" the can though. Something about the mix gasses off and it will build up in the can. I do the shake/rest cycle for awhile then I run just cold water in the can until it runs clear. They come out looking new. Put in pan and set on the hood of my truck. Dry in a couple hours. If I want to really get silly I put them in the tumbler after they are dry and they look better than new!

Actually, from a historical perspective; while brushing out cases was common (and prudent), tumbling, vibrating and cleaning cases is a relatively new phenomenon. When I first got started in reloading in the mid-70’s, I don’t recall any of today’s got-to-haves even being available. So, for probably well over 100 years, reloading has been safely performed with most of the single stage presses and dies you see today, but with “unsanitary” but quite usable and reliable fired brass! I used to brush, soap and flush mine, and I lived to tell about it. That said, I like clean and shiny brass … but I’m not concerned that "shining it" makes it any safer!

BTW: I have heard that some guys actually tumble or vibe loaded ammo .... I can only imagine what that can do to modern coated powders, or even primers!
Sorry, but I don't want to push the envelope that far. I deem this as an unsafe practice.

2 Cents worth from and old F@@t!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom