• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reloading 101 classes

Shovelhead,

I'm thinking I should just take the class to get my feet wet. I think it would be a good idea to at least take a peek at what really is involved. It may be a lot of fun.

Shovelhead,

I appreciate you candor, and yes, I do have those exercise machines gathering dust :) Reloading to save money is more of a long term economical plan; a 401k if you will. Ammo, 45 ACP in particular, may reach $1.00-2.00 per round for target and not go below for years to come. I don't save a dime if I walk on the tread mill. But I can save money by reloading (if there is *any* savings) because I enjoy target practice at the range. It's a lot of fun shooting.

If I can create a round of 45 ACP for a much lower price of purchasing then that means I can go the range more often, which at this point is rare. I used to be able to go to the range with a group of friends and shoot as much and as long as we wanted without concern for the amount of rounds sent down range. At the end of the day we used to laugh at the total number of rounds (~1000). Now, that is has all but stopped.

I'm not so concerned about the up front money on equipment - I can afford that. I'm more concerned on the cost of each round of target practice round of 45 ACP by reloading.

Perhaps at some point reloading will become an enjoyable hobby. That would be nice. I welcome it.

Can you save money reload 45acp? Yes, no and maybe. It depends on you and have crazy you are with your money.

If you don't count equipment (you state you can handle the up front cost), the cost is limited to your components. A single stage O-frame press or a Dillon progressive press, doesn't matter. They won't save you money, just time.

If you shop around, pay reasonable prices for your components and reuse brass; yes, you will save money over factory ammo. If you buy components at all costs, like some people have been doing here; you will spend WAY MORE than factory.

Buy components in bulk! For 45acp target and plinking, buy lubed lead round nose bullets in lots of 1000 or more. Shop online and local stores but don't pay more than $25/lb for powder and $35-40/1000 for primers.

Buy smart and you will save per round but be careful, you WILL shoot more.

Good luck.

Here is where reloading also shines..... When you have components and there is a real shortage of ammo. i.e. 300 Blackout. The ammo is nearly extinct on any shelves including internet sales. My case (pun intended) I have loads (another pun) .223 range pickup brass. All you need to do is trim down .223 brass, size the cut brass to 300 BO, trim for maximum case length. Prime and load with you favorite recipe. My load has been Barnes TTSX 110 grain bullet over 19 grains of H110. Very accurate and slightly better velocities then factory loads. About $.60 per round since I have all components except the bullets. Buying powder and primers woul knock that up to about $.70 per round. Saves maybe $3-$5 a box but in my opinion a tailored accurate round, superior for hunting and above all I'm not on a quest to find this ammo.

It is surly a hobby that compliments a shooting hobby with many advantages...

I drew the line at lead casting... Tried it and quickly found it to be to time consuming to enjoy loading and shooting.

This guy is true to his word, a very experienced reloader, longe range marksmen, and a great friend!! He taught me how to reload and a whole lot more!! In the fire arms world someone great to know!!

In the class we do go over cost analysis, if you PM me with rounds you want to reload I will explain if it is worth it or not...

The key is SAVE YOUR BRASS... Once you reload that brass for the second + time, you take that cost out of the equation.

Some time you don't come out as cheap as buying ammo depending on components and what round your loading, but if u have components and that ammo is out of stock everywhere it doesn't stop u from shooting.

If you are shooting an exotic caliber, you will make bank on your equipment quite quickly...

Take Smackdwn54 for example...
Loading for a S&W 500 magnum, factory ammo non existent and $48-$73 per BOX OF 20...

I'm sure he will tell you, he was able to enjoy shooting his cannon more often after he started reloading.

Some other rounds that would pay dividends...
Any Wetherby rifle cartridge, any hand cannon round (500mag, 454casul, 460), match ammo 308 Federal gold metal match 175gn, been seeing that stuff go for 32-40$ a box when u can find it. And anything you shoot in bulk with a couple exceptions. Def 556 40 and 45.

Mackman hit it on the head too: buy smart and in bulk when you can.

But to most, reloading is a fun hobby as well on its own. Most I know that reload enjoy it.

I sold a couple pistols and a 22 rifle I never shot to get started so I never took money out of pocket. I reload 9mm, 38special and 32acp and I know I'm saving money. More importantly, while others are hitting Wal-Mart at 6am I am sleeping in.

I got into reloading cause of my 454 cas and my weatherby 300 mag 25 years ago , no telling how much money I have saved, the only ammo I buy is 22 lr, I reload most every thing I shoot, Thanks JWP I hope a lot learn from you.

Back
Top Bottom