• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reloading 101 classes

JWP6114

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
22   1
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in a 3 hour hands on reloading 101 class one is put on locally by the folks at www.thebrassexchange.com

The next class is on may 18th from noon to 3pm at Big Woods Goods range in Holly Springs just above Woodstock.

Look at their web page and click online store, scroll down until you see monthly Reloading 101 class to register. The class is $40.

If you have any questions contact Hakim at 770-331-9457 (owner) or let me know. I am their course instructor.

Jake

I am considering getting into reloading, starting with 45 ACP. I know nothing about reloading. Ball park, how much does it cost to get the necessary equipment to be able to create 100 rounds per hour for a complete noob? I realize that the sophistication and quality of the equipment determines the amount of knowledge and experience required to create reliable rounds - the cheaper the equipment the more the person needs knowledge and experience to produce quality rounds.

In general how much knowledge and experience would someone need if they invested $500 in equipment? In $1000 in equipment?

With reloading regular target rounds about how much would it cost per round to reload?

Getting into reloading for "cost" alone is the wrong reason. If it's a drudge to you, you'll never enjoy it and will not continue. It will be like all those exercise machines folks buy in the New Year to get in shape. All that will happen is the equipment will become dust collectors. My self I enjoy reloading for , relaxation, crafting a superior/accurate round, using tools and technology (chronographs & computers) to further my knowledge and yes in the end maybe save a few bucks. Although to reap the savings you'll need to load a lot of rounds to offset the initial cost. I've been reloading over 50 years and I dont think I've reaped that cost savings yet;)

To address your question about cost per round to reload... It depends... Do you have brass or will you buy new? Once fired? Do you plan to reload only 45ACP? Maybe rifle cartridges too? Then you need equipment and all the components, you'll need manuals or access to manuals (web is a good source) As you are aware equipment can be a few bucks to thousands so you need to justify the cost to match what you know and what you need. Finally take a course, enlist a mentor, watch and learn as much as you can. But above all SAFETY...

Last edited:
It is surly a hobby that compliments a shooting hobby with many advantages...

I drew the line at lead casting... Tried it and quickly found it to be to time consuming to enjoy loading and shooting.

Holly spring is not that far at all from you. I hear the instructor lives in Newnan... Lol

My bad I read the first line and figured it was out of reach! :D This sounds awesome, I don't have any equipment yet but will be getting some here soon and would like to see how this process goes and what equipment would be best to start on.

Shovelhead,

I appreciate you candor, and yes, I do have those exercise machines gathering dust :) Reloading to save money is more of a long term economical plan; a 401k if you will. Ammo, 45 ACP in particular, may reach $1.00-2.00 per round for target and not go below for years to come. I don't save a dime if I walk on the tread mill. But I can save money by reloading (if there is *any* savings) because I enjoy target practice at the range. It's a lot of fun shooting.

If I can create a round of 45 ACP for a much lower price of purchasing then that means I can go the range more often, which at this point is rare. I used to be able to go to the range with a group of friends and shoot as much and as long as we wanted without concern for the amount of rounds sent down range. At the end of the day we used to laugh at the total number of rounds (~1000). Now, that is has all but stopped.

I'm not so concerned about the up front money on equipment - I can afford that. I'm more concerned on the cost of each round of target practice round of 45 ACP by reloading.

Perhaps at some point reloading will become an enjoyable hobby. That would be nice. I welcome it.

OK only as an example. Your mileage may vary. Equipment cost aside. Here is my breakdown.
45 ACP Once fired brass .10 (Must deprime clean resize) .10
Projectiles Berry LPF (Copper plated lead) Plinkers .15
Primers (If you can find them) .04
Powder I like Winchester 231 (1 lb = 7000 grs) load 5 gr .02
Final cost roughly 31 cents per round. Given if you can get the components at "normal" pricing.

Forgot to add.. Take the OP class $40:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom