• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading addiction...

View attachment 1108333 View attachment 1108334 View attachment 1108335 View attachment 1108337 View attachment 1108338 View attachment 1108340

So I got into reloading recently and it definitely takes up all my downtime. Thanks to all that replied with recommendations on a reloading set up last month. I know most advised against getting an ap for my first setup but it has been great so far. I ended up picking up a complete lnl ammo plant and plenty of knowledge from a fellow odt'er.

Here are the steps im using when making 223 brass. I feel like it takes me for ever with all the preparation of brass but I made 400 rounds last night but mostly prepped brass the night before.. Let me know if you have any tips or better steps I should take. This has been fun so far. I've reloaded and shot about 1000 9mm and 250 .223 Since I started this last month.

Most recent load data:
CFE223 26.6gr
Hornady 55gr bullets
Sellier - Bellot 4,4 small rifle primers
Once fired brass
2.200"
400 rounds

For 223 reloading I have been doing this:
Step 1 clean brass (tumbling corn cob media)
Step 2 deprime/lube/resize with rcbs lube die #1 and 223 hornady resizing die
Step 3 use primer pocket swage tool with lnl
Step 4 check brass with go or no go gauge and trim if needed
Step 5 primer, powder, bullet...
After you lube and resize...do you not tumbling again?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

We take all new brass, resize, trim it, true up the primer pockets, and debur inside and primer pocket flash hole, before ever starting to do any loading, then we know the history from the start, has always paid off big on the range, and hunting...

just a simple suggestion...

Should have gone, BIG BLUE ALL THE WAY...

Yea, blue is better but I also have the LNL. I don't have the case or bulet feeders. My wife is the case feeder and we were doing about 275-300 hr on 223. Looks like you're doing good there.

One shot works, but there's a lot of waste due to the aerosol.

The Dillon lube seems to go further and the spritzer conserves a lot.

Way better than the RCBS roller pad, IMO.

The mix above is great and way, way cheap compared to either One Shot or Dillon, and not so greasy that tumbling is needed before loading. I spray to just get a touch in the mouth of the case, then tumble after loading for a few minutes to remove the outside residue. I give a squirt in the die if I've cleaned it before starting, and just blow in it to help the alcohol evaporate, otherwise I have had a bulged case from the hydraulic action.

I like One Shot, but I've had my share of stuck cases using it. The RCBS stuck case remover works good.

I actually like it when I get a good number of pieces that need to be trimmed.
When I have a big bag of them they look like gold to me.

Since they all get cut to exactly the same size, I'll use the better Sierra bullets rather than the cheaper Hornady I usually shoot, to load them up. Those are the most accurate rounds I can make.

Often times I'll even sort those fresh cut pieces by head stamp and put them in separate containers when they're loaded.
I expect those to keyhole the one shot before .....

I saw it again just yesterday morning.
Carefully loaded brass with good bullets.
The like brass grouping together, (everything was close), but the ones loaded into the same brass were bench rest type close.

Yea, blue is better but I also have the LNL. I don't have the case or bulet feeders. My wife is the case feeder and we were doing about 275-300 hr on 223. Looks like you're doing good there.

Davis...dont be cheap. Cough up the dough for the case feeder. I dont think it's fair to compare the Dillon to the Hornady without the case feeder. The case feeder and the bullet feeder makes it a great setup.
Trust me on this...do the case feeder and you will never regret it

Back
Top Bottom