Remington 521T Complteted

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
So I bought a Remington 521T for $100 the other day. No rust to mention on the barrel anywhere, just four idiot marks. Those would be left by who ever tried drilling and tapping the BARREL!! They did however do a pretty good job when they tapped the reciever. I decided with the screw holes and grungy oil soaked stock, I couldn't hurt the value of this gun anymore so I am going to refinish it.

I tried sanding but the stain or whatever was on there was tough. So I opted to go to my buddy's shop and use his plastic bead blaster with the psi turned to just enough to remove to the old finish. Turned out pretty good. There are some spots where the oil is engrained in the wood so deep it will not all come out. I scrubbed the stock down with water and mild dish detergeant and let hang in the attic for a day to dry out.. The stock has the feel like it has been hit by 100 grit paper. It is currently sitting with it's first coat of Danish Oil in the attic where it will be for a day or two. Here are some starting pics of the stock.

Last edited:
So the action and all other metal is off to cerakoted at Trading Place Pawn. I should get it back Friday and start reassembly of the bolt and action.

New to the forum and just picked up a 521t from the local pawn shop. Curious to see how yours turned out. How about some pics of the drilled holes, mine seems to have some on top of the receiver. Not sure if factory or not.

Jay Mrosek

So here are the pictures of the rifle. Like I said the stock was dark. It had alot of oil stained wood andd since these stocks are hard to find, I did minimal sanding so as not to destroy shape and deminsions. It has the same scope mount on it now that it did when I purchased it. All metel was cerakoted except screws. Had I known about rust bluing at the time I did this, I would have went that route.

Looks great. Those old 5 series rems are great and reliable rifles. Nice to see it cleaned up and ready to use for another 50 years.

Back
Top Bottom