• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 700 in .223 won't extract/eject

GeorgiaHunter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
This is for a friend of mine. He owns a Rem 700 in .223 and has had trouble with the rifle extracting the spent case from the chamber after fired. And we also noticed that it doesn't seem to eject an unspent cartridge during a test at my office. We don't have easy access to a rifle range here in Kennesaw so we settled for putting a few rounds in the rifle and just cycling the bolt. On an unspent round the bolt extracted the case from the chamber just fine but it didn't kick the case out the side like it should, like it did with my .30-'06. On the opposite side of the bolt face from the ejector there appears to be a metal ring inside that acts as the extractor. I think that is the problem, it either needs to be replaced or put into correct position. I tried to take a pic but it was very hazy. The other pic is of the ejector. I told him to take it to Deer Creek Gun Shop down in Marietta. What do y'all think the problem is?

Trey bolt ejector.jpg

Just fixed a friends rifle the other day doing the same thing. Sometime carbon or a piece of broken brass is under the extractor. I clean by submerging the end in acetone then using compressed air to blow out end of bolt and blow out chamber face barrel lugs . Then oil bolt face with oil and try and see if that fixes problem.. Common on rem 700 with trash..

Just fixed a friends rifle the other day doing the same thing. Sometime carbon or a piece of broken brass is under the extractor. I clean by submerging the end in acetone then using compressed air to blow out end of bolt and blow out chamber face barrel lugs . Then oil bolt face with oil and try and see if that fixes problem.. Common on rem 700 with trash..

We'll check in to that but he says he has only shot around 60 rounds. Hard to imagine that it has carbon build up.

Back
Top Bottom