• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 740 stock redo

Both new screws installed with proper fitting screwdrivers, cup is pulled to the bottom of the hole.

i.imgur.com_BW0SDap.jpg

That's pretty much what I was looking for, cup rim is just a whisker below the level of the wood stock....keeps the edges along the curve from looking like they stick way far out....

i.imgur.com_VxN83DN.jpg

The compass is a friction fit in the cup with a spring clip, it rotates, white dot rotated and pointing to your azimuth for navigation in and out finding the car each and every time....simple and no dayum batteries to go dead.

i.imgur.com_LnpXQ9y.jpg

i.imgur.com_2c4KQN3.jpg

Everything back off, buttplate too, brought to dead level with 0000 steel wool and everything gets a fifth and final coat of TruOil.

i.imgur.com_mNoxry5.jpg

Racked up to kick over....there are some of the colors, reds and golds and a stripe of green in the buttstock....

[Broken External Image]:

When you say dead level, are yo referring to not being able to see dimples due to the grain of the wood?

I am working on a Win 94 stock and and can't seem to get the dimples out on the walnut stock. I have 6 coats of Truoil on it now. Do I keep adding and rubbing out w/ 0000 until I can't see them any more?

Thank you for this process by the way. The wood looks great and I know exactly what you mean about the little colors that come out in the wood. Hard to see on camera.

Y needed to cut back to surface on the first freeze coat wif sandpaper and then on second or sometimes third wif 0000 steel wool. Or start on very pourus walnut wif a filler. The varnish will not bridge pores and cracks - not enough solids in it . You may now need to wet sand with 400 wet dry and truoil can be the lube (if so rub in some slurry)to cut back and fill or rub back close to the wood wif steel wool. 6 coats is a lot and them fellas say they use 15 or more is silly or fibbers!

Last edited:
Its done and back together. 5 coats finish, leveled and rubbed out satin smooth. Nice soft glow and feels warm....2 coats wax and all the end grain sealed with finish and wax. The dark oil spot at the top if the wrist is barely noticeable, mostly it looks great. Greens, golds, reds, etc show thru both pieces of wood.

The scope was removed per instructions and I installed a rear sight elevator from parts supply to bring the gun back to full function. In any event, this one is going to a Smith for total tear down and cleaning and will get a Leupold and quality mounts at that time.

The new old stock compass is in the buttstock and points true, the dial rotates and navigation should be a breeze.

Photos later when I have better light to camera by.

That's it and looking fine....fit to go with the immaculate original factory blue on this 1955 to 1960 weapon. Hard to believe its that old. I looked in the bore.....its pretty darn clean....should shoot super!

Time to get em home.

i.imgur.com_EYrNL6U.jpg

[Broken External Image]:

i.imgur.com_K7n5eaP.jpg

i.imgur.com_dKUn0vZ.jpg

i.imgur.com_BNiswbx.jpg

i.imgur.com_btSb7NE.jpg

i.imgur.com_DP0ZJmz.jpg

i.imgur.com_CgpIEcT.jpg

Back
Top Bottom