• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remove popcorn ceiling or skim coat it?

Another thought: Install 1/4" sheetrock over the popcorn. Tape rhe seams, mud, sand, paint
Lol that sounds easy, but to do the job properly you have to mud, scrape, wait 24 sand and repeat at least three times. If you don’t do it really well it, it will show every screw and tape line.

We bought a much larger home finally that's very nice but is original and built in 87'. Has crown molding but popcorn ceilings almost everywhere. Has anyone tried skim coating vs the really messy removal? As a stay at home parent right now I don't have the time or patience to do it so we will be paying someone.
They are called acoustic ceilings to help absorb sounds. A smooth ceiling can carry sound.

I’ve done it plenty of times both ways and 1/4” rock is faster.
You still have to finish it, that takes the time and labor I described.

IMO the easiest and least labor and material cost would be this.
image.jpg

But I know it’s not for everyone.

Why the popcorn hate? I grew up as a kid with popcorn ceilings. And I’ve had popcorn in my current home for 17 years. Maybe I’m just used to it, but I’d never spend thousands to remove and replace it.

Attachments

• 3AF7BA33-6ED1-4089-968E-F4282EEABF4D.jpeg
    3AF7BA33-6ED1-4089-968E-F4282EEABF4D.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 12
I’d almost say leave it, laminate over with 1/4” drywall and finish that instead of trying to scrape it all down and skim, but you would have to re-run the crown.

I've been doing residential construction for 25 years and this is what I'm considering doing in my house. That or panel board. Popcorn ceiling is the devils work.

Back
Top Bottom