• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Replacing my speakers in the door of my Sierra 1500 SLE

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I've got a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 and those in the Chevys like those are known for losing the speakers in their door panels. All four of mine are blown except for the two behind the headrest on the side kind of. I've been looking for a set of replacements and I'm looking at the Rockford fosgate R-165-S package. It comes with two six and a half inch mid-range speakers and two tweeters to replace the ones that are in the door. Some of the standard models just have one 6-in speaker or 5-in speaker but mine has a 5 in and a tweeter in each door. But with the proper adapter supplied I can put a six and a half inch speaker with both tweeters. I've had the door panel off before and it's a breeze so that's not a big concern I was just wondering if anybody else had some input on speaker choices. I like to listen to music but I'm not a headbanger and I don't listen to it super loud so all I need is something crisp and actually works in this case. I would like to go with something a little better than factory replacements and I figured Rockford fosgate to be a decent company. Any other recommendations? The Rockford fosgate speakers all four speakers are on sale for $74 and some change at crutchfield seems like a fairly good deal but I'm not opposed to buying something a little bit better and then eventually swapping out the speakers in the back to match. However, I don't want to spend big money I'm just not that much into music. Well I say I'm not I love to listen to the radio but I just don't turn it up so loud I can't hear myself think I'm just not interested in all that nonsense. I left that behind in my twenties.

Take door panel off and find out what size you have. Then just find some that'll bolt in. With the contour of the new vehicle door panels that's probably the best remedy

Take door panel off and find out what size you have. Then just find some that'll bolt in. With the contour of the new vehicle door panels that's probably the best remedy
Well if I go with the Rockford fosgate from crutchfield they come with free brackets to fit the six and a half inch upsize speaker and also the wiring harness is free with speaker combo. Would also allow me to keep the same hookups. It's also a very verified replacement set that will work. And the shipping is free so it's a pretty good deal at 74 bucks.

I replaced all the speakers in my RAV4 with JBL’s 3.5 dash and 6.5 for each door. They are plenty loud enough with the stock headunit pushing it and sounds really good hi to low.

I also found a complete Infinity speaker set for my F-150, great mids, but I need to add tweeters.

I definitely recommend the JBL, but to each their own.

I've always been partial to Polk, but the reality is just about any aftermarket speaker will be a big upgrade over the factory speakers. RF, Pioneer, Kenwood, among others.

As far as the separate tweeters: If it won't bother you to have non-functional tweeters in the door, don't hesitate to buy a 2 way 6.5, and leave the separate tweeter disconnected. With the exception of really high end installs that are heavily tuned and equalized, it's hard to differentiate tweeter location in a typical car or truck install. Too much ambient noise, too many hard surfaces for sounds to bounce off of.

Edited to add: Is the signal split at the factory head unit, i.e., the main speaker doesn't get the tweeter frequencies? In that case, go with the RF set that matches that setup.

Well if I go with the Rockford fosgate from crutchfield they come with free brackets to fit the six and a half inch upsize speaker and also the wiring harness is free with speaker combo. Would also allow me to keep the same hookups. It's also a very verified replacement set that will work. And the shipping is free so it's a pretty good deal at 74 bucks.
Should be able to use the factory wiring and connectors. All you have to do is replace the speaker itself. Make sure the watt rating is compatible with the stereo you're using. If possible, I'd go a little higher rating on the speaker for a little safety net

Should be able to use the factory wiring and connectors. All you have to do is replace the speaker its self. Make sure the watt rating is compatible with the stereo you're using. If possible, I'd go a little higher rating on the speaker for a little safety net
On the Crutchfield site you enter in your vehicle and they pull up all the compatible sets as far as ohms and the like. I mean they have sets as high as 200+ bucks for the combo but I am just not into music for all that. All I need is a decent replacement that sounds good. I don't know about now but Rockford Fosgate used to be somebody. These days I have no clue.

On the Crutchfield site you enter in your vehicle and they pull up all the compatible sets as far as ohms and the like. I mean they have sets as high as 200+ bucks for the combo but I am just not into music for all that. All I need is a decent replacement that sounds good. I don't know about now but Rockford Fosgate used to be somebody. These days I have no clue.
Same here, no clue these days. I haven't had to replace one in a very long time. However I do have a GMC that's had one on the fritz for a while. I just adjust the stereo control so that it doesn't rattle....

Back
Top Bottom