• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"Request a Conference" in court?

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I incured a speeding ticket. 15 over and a whopping $450. Ive been by the solicitors office but was told they would be in court for the next week. Tuey gave me a name and number and told me to leave the solicitor a message and she would get back with me. She returned my call while I was at work and left a message saying I could request a conference to the judge when I appear. Has anyone gone this route before? All I was looking to do was discuss the ticket in person with the solicitor and even if I ended up paying the large fine, I really just wanted the speed dropped to keep it from my insurance. I just dont want this "conference" to turn into additional court fee's on top of the enormous fine.

They will almost always allow you to talk to the prosecuter(conference) who in turn will often but not always reduce the speed etc. but keep the fine + court costs. Never hurts to ask.
Love the Red Green BTW!

those people are ****ing useless and talking them wont help

sorry but they want your 450 and no amount of logic, reason, pleading, or outrage is going to change it

i find most of the folks who work in the courts dont have a soul and are beyond shaming. i dont treat them like people if i have to go down there as i expect to be treated like cattle regardless of the situation. talking to them like you would a cold and unintelligent robot is the only route to go.

also it depends on the country or municipality you are in but alot of those court fees are illegal and can be challenged (good luck though)

I've done the "conference" before in Canton. It's the in-between pleading guilty and paying the full fine and not-guilty and requesting a jury trial. They lowered my fine from $190 to $50 (to cover court fees).

I've done the "conference" before in Canton. It's the in-between pleading guilty and paying the full fine and not-guilty and requesting a jury trial. They lowered my fine from $190 to $50 (to cover court fees).

How did you plead? Nolo or did you just request the conference or both?

maybe there is hope

all my tickets have come from atlanta/fulton/dekalb

How did you plead? Nolo or did you just request the conference or both?

"Request a conference" was actually my plea. The judge was a really cool guy and I'm pretty certain he was pro-2A (more on that in a minute). The judge explained the proceedings for the day for all the traffic scofflaws and said you have 3 choices: you can either plead guilty, pay your fine and be on your merry way; plead not guilty and request a jury trial; or, if you would like the opportunity to explain your case/try to work something out without a jury trial and get everything wrapped up today, you can request a conference with the solicitor. He then called roll for everyone on the docket and asked how do you plea. If you pled "request a conference", the solicitor took everyone, one by one, to a conference room for a quick meeting. I was in there with the solicitor for all of less than 5 minutes. She agreed to reduce the fine to $50 to cover court costs and I went on my way. Total time at the courthouse 45 min. It was a packed house too, standing room only. Pretty sweet deal IMO.

So my thoughts as to why I think the judge was pro-2A: he was in Cherokee County for starters. But also, before they got to the people with traffic citations, we got to hear proceedings from people there for a little more serious offenses, i.e. DUI, drug charges, domestic disputes, etc. Well, there was a lady who was arrested for a domestic violence incidence with her "partner". The judge asked her how she wished to plead, she said guilty. Before the judge would accept her plea, he would ask her if she was certain she wanted to plead guilty because she would never again be allowed to own a firearm. She said I understand and I wish to plead guilty. He reiterated THREE times to her that she would never again be allowed to own a firearm with a guilty plea. He made her say I understand and plead guilty multiple times. I don't know if all judges remind the defendants of this (because I never go to court) but I thought that was pretty cool of him to let her know the right/privilege she would be losing.

This is, of course, just my personal experience and in no way, shape or form legal advice.

^^^Ridicules someone for asking for advice and then gives advice. :lol:

www.drinkalot.com_pics_Deal_With_It.jpg

Back
Top Bottom