• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Resale of reloaded ammo is LEGAL....under certain circumstances

kahrshooter

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
321   0
Reaction score
If its a casual sale of some no longer wanted/needed ammo ....and it is NOT your normal enterprise or way of making a living....it is perfectly legal to sell your reloads to a person legal to buy ammo.

The link shows the PDF....and I have CnP'd the salient parts.

If you are not "engaged in the business" ....there is no Code stating it is unlawful for you to make the sell, or for the legal buyer to buy from you.

read below, carefully

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

§ 921 Definitions.
(a) As used in this chapter—

(10) The term "manufacturer" means any person engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms or ammunition for purposes of sale or distribution; and the term "licensed manufacturer" means any such person licensed under the provisions of this chapter.

(21) The term "engaged in the business" means—

(B) as applied to a manufacturer of ammunition, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition manufactured;

§ 922 Unlawful acts.
(a) It shall be unlawful—
(1) for any person—
(
(B) except a licensed importer or licensed manufacturer, to engage in the business of importing or manufacturing ammunition, or in the course of such business, to ship, transport, or receive any ammunition in interstate or foreign commerce;

There are people that "casually" load and try to sell ammo as an undeclared business. Looking for loop holes to do something prohibited or illadvised is pretty sketchy. If someone buys your reloads and claims injury or damage from using them, even if you did nothing wrong.....good luck on ever owning anything ever again. Unless you are an Attorney, I would be careful interpreting the law and giving legal advice. Now if you are an Attorney or had one give a legal opinion on the law, then I would have more faith in your interpretation. i will not accept personal reloads from anyone nor will I even try to give any away. Factory reloads are actually new manufactured loads with used and inspected brass.

despite the legality of the sale itself... its stupid to open yourself to liability should something happen to the buyer b/c of carelessness on your part. I wont sell reload... I wont buy reloads... hell nobody is even allowed to shoot my reloads but me.

Perfect case of just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Back
Top Bottom