Researching Basics of Shotgun Reloading

spring1898

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
In my quest to collect Lee Loaders, I managed to snag a set of 12, 20, and 16ga. Still looking for the 410 among others.

I don't reload for shotgun yet, and probably not for a while, and don't know anything about it but would like to learn up on it for the future when things aren't hard to find at reasonable prices.

Economy and simplicity would be important to me for reloading in general, so trying to keep as few options on hand is important.
So in that regard, how few types of powder and shot could I stock (bird/small game, buck, turkey, slugs)?
How much to stock? (shells reloaded per lb? amount of shot used per ga and bag)
What are the merits of the different 'Universal' shotgun powders?
How many hulls per gauge (assuming the occasional trap session) and how many loads do you tend to get per hull? Are there economical brands to buy?
Are there (significant) differences in wads for the casual shooter?
Any good recs for books and literature?
Good loading presses? Lee?

You want to get AA hulls. You might quit trying to load if you don't. I've forgotten how many shells you'll get per pound of powder but if you divide 7000 by 24 you'll be close. You want #209 primers. I never cared what kind of war so use what you can find. My preference is Unique powder if you can find it. Green or Red Dot if you can't. I threw my Lee loader in the garbage. Maybe I shouldn't have done it, I could have sold it to you. They work but mine scattered shot everywhere. Be on the lookout for MEC loaders. My oldest MEC is 51 years old. It's only had to have wad fingers which are plastic & finally wear out. You don't need a progressive loader. A 650 will treat you right. Tresemme shampoo bottles fit the threads. Additional graphite added to the shot is helpful.
I have progressive MECs but the 650s are my favorites.

You want to get AA hulls. You might quit trying to load if you don't. I've forgotten how many shells you'll get per pound of powder but if you divide 7000 by 24 you'll be close. You want #209 primers. I never cared what kind of war so use what you can find. My preference is Unique powder if you can find it. Green or Red Dot if you can't. I threw my Lee loader in the garbage. Maybe I shouldn't have done it, I could have sold it to you. They work but mine scattered shot everywhere. Be on the lookout for MEC loaders. My oldest MEC is 51 years old. It's only had to have wad fingers which are plastic & finally wear out. You don't need a progressive loader. A 650 will treat you right. Tresemme shampoo bottles fit the threads. Additional graphite added to the shot is helpful.
I have progressive MECs but the 650s are my favorites.
Remington STS hulls are good also. I have not reloaded for years, so they may not be available any more.

buy the Lyman shotshell reloading manual and every one of your questions will be answered - for real.

You might be able to find a used one on Amazon.

Buy this manual and read before you buy anything else.

I will answer one question, I loaded thousands of round of 12 and 20 ga. for every legal purpose and used only two powders.

That's why you want the manual.

Back
Top Bottom