• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Residential water heater needs replaced

new57

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
Reaction score
Our 40 gallon water heater is 10 years old and has a slow leak. We need to replace it.

Ideally we'd like to go up to a 50 gallon system, but not at the expense of major overhaul of pipes in basement (ie form factor). If we need to stick with 40 gallon that has same measurements so it's an easy swap with the old leaking tank we'll stick with 40 and get it done.

We're looking for recommendations or references to any ODTer whose profession includes replacing water heaters.

Zip code is 30030, not far from Fernbank Museum.

Please PM or post here, thank you!

I had to get my water heater replaced about a month ago. Water was pouring out so I didn't have time to shop around so I just went with Lowe's. I think I paid about $650 including installation for a 50 gallon Whirlpool electric water heater.

I had to get my water heater replaced about a month ago. Water was pouring out so I didn't have time to shop around so I just went with Lowe's. I think I paid about $650 including installation for a 50 gallon Whirlpool electric water heater.
Pay close attention to the install quality of that heater, and be damn sure that Lowe's pulled a permit for it. Lowe's has a history of taking shortcuts with their installations. Whirlpool has some SERIOUS quality control issues with their external components, and most of their parts are proprietary to their brand. My company replaces them constantly for this reason. Just friendly advice.

I want to make sure I understand. You got an INSTALLED 50g water heater from Lowes for $650 TOTAL? :confused: When was this?

I went through this just over a week ago. The $899 'special' from the Pink Plumber turned into around $1,750 (including replacing a faulty PRV for the ridiculous price of ver $400). Home Depot quoted over $1,700 for just the water heater (no PRV) since it was a Sunday 'emergency'.
I eventually bought JUST the parts (PRV, expansion tank and 50g Rheem heater from Home Depot) for $600 and had a guy install it for another $500. Aarons and Pink plumber wanted over $1,000 for JUST the install if I supplied the parts. I did not call Lowe's due to the reveiws on Whirlpool and I needed it done within hours, but maybe I should have...

I want to make sure I understand. You got an INSTALLED 50g water heater from Lowes for $650 TOTAL? :confused: When was this?

I went through this just over a week ago. The $899 'special' from the Pink Plumber turned into around $1,750 (including replacing a faulty PRV for the ridiculous price of ver $400). Home Depot quoted over $1,700 for just the water heater (no PRV) since it was a Sunday 'emergency'.
I eventually bought JUST the parts (PRV, expansion tank and 50g Rheem heater from Home Depot) for $600 and had a guy install it for another $500. Aarons and Pink plumber wanted over $1,000 for JUST the install if I supplied the parts. I did not call Lowe's due to the reveiws on Whirlpool and I needed it done within hours, but maybe I should have...
No, you shouldn't. You want LICENSED technicians doing this

Back
Top Bottom