• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Residential water heater needs replaced

Pay close attention to the install quality of that heater, and be damn sure that Lowe's pulled a permit for it. Lowe's has a history of taking shortcuts with their installations. Whirlpool has some SERIOUS quality control issues with their external components, and most of their parts are proprietary to their brand. My company replaces them constantly for this reason. Just friendly advice.

They got a permit and the county came out and inspected it.

Not that bad. They are more efficient. The break even is only a couple of years. Sooner if the price of gas & electrons keeps going up.
They are more efficient, but utterly pointless on households of less than 5 people. The main benefit of a tankless is being able to run MULTIPLE hot water fixtures at once. A 2 person household will not have a need for this benefit. And my price for a Rheem RTGH-95DVLN is still around $4000 on the LOW side. Once you factor in an RIK kit, condensate line (and possibly pump), vent and intake piping, gas upsizing, and hot/cold rerouting, along with having the end-user have a 2lb meter installed (yes this is necessary, don't let anyone tell you different), the costs add up. And the "break even" everyone talks about is based on manufacturers avg household of 4-5 people, with heavy use. It's hardly accurate. They're a great item for certain situations, but even after installing a jillion of em, I'll take my 50g gas all day long.

Ah... just the opposite IMO. With less demand, you aren't wasting energy keeping a tank full of water hot. The more demand you have, assuming you aren't running the tank out, the more utility you get from a tank heater.

W 2 adults + 2 kids and the usual appliances we have periods of high demand, but we never overwhelm the heater, but we also have days where we don't use any at all or we go out of town. And taken care of a Tankless will last forever(ish), much longer than a pressurized tank.

I got a similar Rheem unit and installed it myself for under $1K total. It was A LOT easier to get up into my attic and install than a big assed tank, even considering I had to build a stud frame for it to hang on.

To each their own I guess. Maybe you just like the job security? (kidding). ;)

I want to make sure I understand. You got an INSTALLED 50g water heater from Lowes for $650 TOTAL? :confused: When was this?

I went through this just over a week ago. The $899 'special' from the Pink Plumber turned into around $1,750 (including replacing a faulty PRV for the ridiculous price of ver $400). Home Depot quoted over $1,700 for just the water heater (no PRV) since it was a Sunday 'emergency'.
I eventually bought JUST the parts (PRV, expansion tank and 50g Rheem heater from Home Depot) for $600 and had a guy install it for another $500. Aarons and Pink plumber wanted over $1,000 for JUST the install if I supplied the parts. I did not call Lowe's due to the reveiws on Whirlpool and I needed it done within hours, but maybe I should have...

It was May/June. The water heater I got had decent reviews $359 + $250 installation. Plus I got a stand.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-50-...-Year-Regular-Electric-Water-Heater/50397576=

Ah... just the opposite IMO. With less demand, you aren't wasting energy keeping a tank full of water hot. The more demand you have, assuming you aren't running the tank out, the more utility you get from a tank heater.

W 2 adults + 2 kids and the usual appliances we have periods of high demand, but we never overwhelm the heater, but we also have days where we don't use any at all or we go out of town. And taken care of a Tankless will last forever(ish), much longer than a pressurized tank.

I got a similar Rheem unit and installed it myself for under $1K total. It was A LOT easier to get up into my attic and install than a big assed tank, even considering I had to build a stud frame for it to hang on.

To each their own I guess. Maybe you just like the job security? (kidding). ;)
You may save some on gas bills, sure. On-demand hot water, like any on-demand system, is typically more efficient along with the prospect of money savings. But it's highly doubtful that you'll save enough to offset the initial costs of a tankless install. And with manufacturers recommended once-a-year flushing at $200-$300 per visit, as well as the inlet pressure solenoid problems that seem to plague all of these units, the savings recoup just doesn't make mathematical sense. Don't get me wrong, I love installing them, and they are definitely money-makers, but at an average of $4500, I'd rather install a new tank type unit every 15 years. I can literally go through FIVE tank units, with a combined life span of 60 years, for the cost of ONE quality tankless. For those with the spare cash and hot water demand, they're great. For 90% of the rest of homeowners.....Eh...

I guess so if you can't DIY.
I applaud ANY homeowner that can DIY a tankless. Aside from the skill set needed, knowing which parts to purchase, which are code legal and which aren't, knowing to run intake and vent exclusive of any other vent systems (hvac, etc), knowing the correct btu load that a particular gas piping size will carry, etc...these things are outside the abilities of many plumbers, much less Joe Homeowner. And on that note, to the homeowners that do attempt a DIY on a project like this, THANK YOU. Your "oopsies" help to pay my mortgage.

I guess so if you can't DIY.
If this trade was as simplistic as you would have us believe, I'd be unemployed. What size gas line you pull for the unit? Did A.G.L. pay you a visit? Install your bleeder valves?

And let's do the math:
With a CONSERVATIVE quote of $1200 for a tank heater, and $4200 for a tankless, we have a cost difference of $3000. If you're really lucky, you might save $25-$35 per month on gas (and don't forget, these units need 110v to operate the control panel and circuit board). Even at the highest savings, $35/month x 12 months = $420/yr in savings. $3000/$420 = 7+ years to recoup the cost difference. That $1000 tank-type heater will still be truckin' right along. I swear I could operate a side business simply on rectifying DIY screwups.

It's funny, most of these water heater tanks are made in the same plant in TN, just powder coated a different color with different labels and box. It's a hell of an operation though.

Back
Top Bottom