• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Residential water heater needs replaced

Why would I be judging anyone? Here or anywhere else? Why would a professional go out of there way to alienate a potential customer?
Fairly certain that when you call someone an asshole, a judgement has been made. And there's been no attempt to alienate anyone. Tough to turn a blind eye to those who consider your career "unnecessary."

I think he did it himself and the rest has been synspeed synspeed calling him a dumbass.

6a76f4a3-4ad2-4ae2-8a3b-c092e85586af.jpg

There's a good reason this attitude bothers me. DIYers are almost SOLELY responsible for the escalating home insurance rates in this country. Water damage is the #1 cause for claims, and by a large margin. When a non-qualified person attempt a a DIY plumbing repair, the rate of failure is multiplied exponentially. When you do something stupid and your little weekend project floods your Brazilian rosewood floors, insurance issues a payout. Know who pays for that? EVERYONE, in the form of increased rates. Want to talk rocket science? This is as simple as it gets. If you'd have just called a pro to begin with, you'd have literally done right by untold numbers of other homeowners.
You were doing fine until this post (and then went downhill from there). But I'm always willing to learn. Can you point us to any stats that support your assertion? I've personally never had any water damage from a DIY repair, on anything (nor known anyone who has). And I've done a few. But I'm sure it happens however since you claim they are "almost SOLELY responsible" this is something I'd like to learn about.
Adding to the irony, Several years ago I replaced my PRV for the $60 a new one costs and 5 minutes of my time. Considering the big outfits wanted over $450 to replace them, when I got my water fixed two weeks ago, I asked this MASTER PLUMBER to swap it out for me (I had the new one in hand). Guess what he did? Cut the WRONG SIDE of the supply line on the street side of the shut off in my FINISHED BASEMENT! I never realized how fast I could find get out of my basement, find a flashlight and get to the curbside shut off until that moment that 125psi was gushing inside my home. Now do I think the guy was an 'idiot' or an '***hole'? No. It was late at night and he was rushing and it was the last thing he had to do to complete the job and get out. Plus coming on a Sunday evening like he did was helping out of a big jam. People make mistakes. But you are honestly doing yourself (and your profession) a disservice by both your tone and accusations. You'd probably win a lot more customers by helping them rather than demeaning them. For example, some years ago that plumber I mentioned suggested I check the seats and springs in a bath tub faucet as the possible source of a leak that was damaging the ceiling below before I had him rip out the wall between my shower and bath. $5 later I was fixed and hadn't had a problem since. I don't think anyone in this thread has said anything prior to this demeaning about tradesman of any sort much less plumbers.
Last question, how much does your company charge to change out a PRV like this one http://www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=776

You were doing fine until this post (and then went downhill from there). But I'm always willing to learn. Can you point us to any stats that support your assertion? I've personally never had any water damage from a DIY repair, on anything (nor known anyone who has). And I've done a few. But I'm sure it happens however since you claim they are "almost SOLELY responsible" this is something I'd like to learn about.
Adding to the irony, Several years ago I replaced my PRV for the $60 a new one costs and 5 minutes of my time. Considering the big outfits wanted over $450 to replace them, when I got my water fixed two weeks ago, I asked this MASTER PLUMBER to swap it out for me (I had the new one in hand). Guess what he did? Cut the WRONG SIDE of the supply line on the street side of the shut off in my FINISHED BASEMENT! I never realized how fast I could find get out of my basement, find a flashlight and get to the curbside shut off until that moment that 125psi was gushing inside my home. Now do I think the guy was an 'idiot' or an '***hole'? No. It was late at night and he was rushing and it was the last thing he had to do to complete the job and get out. Plus coming on a Sunday evening like he did was helping out of a big jam. People make mistakes. But you are honestly doing yourself (and your profession) a disservice by both your tone and accusations. You'd probably win a lot more customers by helping them rather than demeaning them. For example, some years ago that plumber I mentioned suggested I check the seats and springs in a bath tub faucet as the possible source of a leak that was damaging the ceiling below before I had him rip out the wall between my shower and bath. $5 later I was fixed and hadn't had a problem since. I don't think anyone in this thread has said anything prior to this demeaning about tradesman of any sort much less plumbers.
Last question, how much does your company charge to change out a PRV like this one http://www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=776
I don't disagree with anything you are saying. In regards to insurance claims, it's a known fact that water damage is the #1 cause. People tend to think it's fire or storm damage, but it's actually water. It's an easily googled statistic. And there's always those plumbers, masters or not, that simply shouldn't do what they do. There's a bad apple (or 2) at every company. I've been on the bad side of flooding a house before, and it's NO fun. This thread didn't turn south (and my "tone" didn't come about) until everyone began ripping on plumbers, how much we charge, calling us "unnecessary," etc. I've been at this for almost 20 years, the last 14 of which are on the books. In that time, I've never had a single customer be ungrateful for the services/guidance we provide. And as stated, LOTS of our calls are to fix DIY goof-ups. What started out as something completely innocent quickly went off the rails (that one was for you, JamesG JamesG ). My original intent was to dissuade people from attempting to DIY the more advanced types of plumbing jobs, i.e. tankless heaters (the whole "screw you, I did it myself" - attitude). That's what the thread was originally based around, a tankless scenario. Trust me, the thread took a turn I never intended. And to answer your last question, we charge $325.00 - $450.00 depending on where it's located (basement, crawlspace, finished ceiling, etc). As expensive as it sounds, it's a pretty standard price nowadays.

Never meant to ruffle anyone's feathers.

https://couri.com/personal/homeowners-insurance/top-five-causes-of-homeowners-insurance-claims/
http://www.nfmt.com/online/education/details/Water-Damage-is-the-1-Cause-of-Insurance-Claims--3134#
http://realtytimes.com/consumeradvice/buyersadvice1/item/9575-20051003_floodinsurance

Back
Top Bottom