Restore headlights...

I've seen several articles and threads about restoring headlights. Toothpaste, baking soda, Off bug spray, expensive store bought products, you name it. I stumbled upon a really easy way to restore them.

While lubricating my hood release cable on my MB wagon, I accidentally spilled some WD-40 onto one of the headlights. I took a shop towel and wiped it off. As soon as I made the first stroke, it was amazing how the light looked. I added more WD to the towel and did all of the lights. I was very surprised. Mercedes Benz are notorious for bad light lenses.

I did this about a month ago but didn't want to post about it until I saw some results. It works. I wash my car once a week and just wipe the lights with the WD after I dry it off. Like new. Has anybody else tried or heard about this?

HDD

Tried it on my Chevy Trailblazer, F150, and Honda Accord. Didn't work. I think it depends on the type of plastic used for the lens.

If they just look a little dull, Meguair;s makes PlastX which is a plastic polish and works very well. If they are a little worse, 3M sells a complete sanding/buffing kit that works with a cordless drill that will make them look new. Both are under $10.

I believe headlight plastic has a protective clear coating applied when it is manufactured. It breaks down over time and yellows, so sanding it off down into new plastic, polishing, then applying a new quality clear coating is best. If you sand it down to new plastic and don't protect it, it will break down quickly. I saw them make headlight covers on how it's made show I believe.

This is with the sun shining.

HDD
WD-40.jpg

I own an automotive reconditioning company. This is the best stuff I have used. I have literally done hundreds of headlights. Done it every way you can think of or look up on the internet anyways, and this is the best. Tape around or remove headlight, sand with a 3 inch sander and 400 grit starting out, move to 600 then 1000, then wetsand with 1500 or 2000, prep and spray with the clear. Looks brand spanking new and stays that way.
BC6D5BA3-1611-4DD7-A95E-7E24885FF4F1.png

Back
Top Bottom