• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Revamped get home bag

Stevebob

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
17   0
Reaction score
1440121765882-1748781762.jpg
I got alot of responses to my last post, so Im reuploading this with some changes
Right to left
Anorak
Map
2 mres
Gloves
Binoculars
Baofeng bf8hp
Crkt multitool, compass light ferrorod
Sawyer minj squeeze water filter
Headlamp flashlight
Firstaid kit with moleskin and ducttape
200yds 30lb test mono
Campcup
Paracord
Slimjims
Sog revolver
50 rnds 135grn 10mm
Glock 20 sf spare mag leather holster
Clothes are not pictured, but include 2 sets smartwools 2 pairs underwear 1 pair bluejeans ball cap and a shirt and rocky combat boots
I feel like i may be forgetting something, constructive criticism time
I also recently make a tomahawk head i may throw in

The story behind this is that I work in Chattanooga and live in the Chatsworth area, if shtf did go down i want to be able to get home to my family in about 3 days. I have had plenty of experience in the woods hunting, fishing, and hiking. This is not meant to be a fully encompassing leasurly hiking pack, but a last dotch effort to get to my family.

Looks great. I used my bag on our last camping trip just to see if I left anything out---mine is about the same as yours. I did realize that I needed to add something else, a toothbrush!

What is the weight?

How about maps, or topo map?

I would ditch the blue jeans and get some thing that won't hold wetness (if it gets wet).

Did you put it all in a zip lock bag?

Any sealskins for over the socks?

Cotton is the enemy sometimes... I do applaud the use of smartwool. I did find a better wool socks out of new England d area called darn tough. Been wearing them on and off for 2 years, still look new.

What is the weight?

How about maps, or topo map?

I would ditch the blue jeans and get some thing that won't hold wetness (if it gets wet).

Did you put it all in a zip lock bag?

Any sealskins for over the socks?
weight with everything is 18lbs, cant remember whether I was wearing the glock, so it may be up to 22ish
Ima big blue jean guy, but if i get some more 5.11's I would consider that
There is a forestry service map there that encompasses most of the trails I could walk to avoid large areas
I prefer straight smartwool socks over sealskins, they make my feet sweat, which is bad

Ill have to check into em, MErino wool is the stuff
Yes, my smartwool wore holes in the heels and forefoot too fast. My sister (avid hiker, runner, out of doors person) got me them for Christmas one year. I have since acquired all weights they make. Damn comfy ****.

More socks more drawers. Is your intent with the clothes that you could get plopped down somewhere in your birthday suit (or a business suit)? For a 3 day GHB you don't really need a full change of clothes. Canvas/nylon cargo khackis (demilled BDU pants) are still a better choice.
Still need to strip down the MREs.
Everything needs to go into ziplock bags.
And you need a winter set up too. All the snivel gear will take up a lot of space, probably make you need to pair down you list even if it rattles around in your bag in Summer.
Where's poncho?

Back
Top Bottom