• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Revolver guys please help!!!

Once stainless guns started being made, S&W usually marked both stainless and nickel guns under the grip on the frame.

N or S, this was to keep from mixing the parts during assembly, so I have read.

Once stainless guns started being made, S&W usually marked both stainless and nickel guns under the grip on the frame.

N or S, this was to keep from mixing the parts during assembly, so I have read.
im going to have to take the grips off when I get home

Looks like hard chrome to me, which is a very durable finish. It could be satin nickle, which would not be factory. What ever it is it looks like a decent job, but doesn't look like factory nickel.

Calling JWC JWC and @Leatherhead.

Yes, an original nickel S&W will have a "N" stamped on the left side of the grip frame. I have read that there are some nickel finished Smiths that are original but do not have the "N" stamp, but I have never seen one. It should look like this.

Also on the cylinder there could be a small "N" stamped where the rounds enter the chamber. Possibly on the barrel flat in front of the cylinder when opened.

If your Smith does not have an "N" on the frame, it is probably not an original nickel Smith.

I can help you date it, if you want, but I would need the serial number. If you don't feel comfortable giving out the serial number, fine, just use "Xs" for the last two numbers of the serial number.

Yes, an original nickel S&W will have a "N" stamped on the left side of the grip frame. I have read that there are some nickel finished Smiths that are original but do not have the "N" stamp, but I have never seen one. It should look like this.

Also on the cylinder there could be a small "N" stamped where the rounds enter the chamber. Possibly on the barrel flat in front of the cylinder when opened.

If your Smith does not have an "N" on the frame, it is probably not an original nickel Smith.

I can help you date it, if you want, but I would need the serial number. If you don't feel comfortable giving out the serial number, fine, just use "Xs" for the last two numbers of the serial number.
sweet I will take the grips off when I get home for sure. If its not nickel what would your guess be on what it is and what it is worth

Back
Top Bottom